Thoughts on 2020 Subaru Forester?

We have a 2009 Forester that has been great to drive but has had some maintenance issues. I am thinking about buying a new one.  I am attracted to the Subaru AWD as, for family reasons, I will be doing quite a bit of driving in parts of upstate NY with lots of snow and so-so roads.

Thoughts or experiences?

Perfect timing Klinker! I'm new to the AWD concept but I fell for a house in Sussex County in my quest to search for lower property taxes and I am terrified of driving in the snow. Add to that miserable about the idea of a half hour to a supermarket on country roads. So I'm spending more time on Carguru than on Zillow. I was told by friends who have seen me drive, that I'd better get an AWD if I'm considering a move to the frozen north. Even if I stay in South Orange, I live on a wicked steep hill.

Just read the difference last night between 4 wheel drive and AWD so anxious to read this thread.

I'm hoping to find something AWD, but as small as possible and oh yeah, as cheap as possible. So hoping to hitch a ride on this thread.

I almost bought a Forester 2 years ago, but since we're a Honda family the coin toss came up in favor of the Honda CRV-AWD.  It's fun to drive and kind of zippy but I did drive a minivan the preceding decade, so the bar might be kind of low for me on those measures.  I can tell you that on the drive home from work on the horrible snow-traffic-mageddon day last November, (early afternoon - around 2:00) I never felt my traction slipping on Rt. 22, or the 180 degree curving exit ramp, or all the way crawling home through Millburn, while at least every 3rd car on the road was sliding all over. I had no trouble controlling my car and could not understand why everyone else was powerless over how their cars were slipping around on the roads. Might be worth your while to look at the CRV?

For what it's worth, when I was car shopping after my '09 Forester was totalled last year,  I found that Consumer Reports expressed disappointment that Subaru had fallen out of the top 10 in their reliability ratings for the first time in a decade.  Like you, I had some repair issues with mine, so I went with an '03 Honda CR-V AWD (yes, an old one, all I could afford).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.