The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Anyone get "Moiety?"

Certainly not moi.

I did not. Full disclosure though -- I went to a crossword dictionary and found it after I gave up on getting thr QB. 

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

Anyone get "Moiety?"

Certainly not moi.

nice play on words..."not moi" for me too..."moiety" was my only missing word yesterday

I missed moiety and motet.

Post deleted.

Nothing to see here.  Move along, please.

is "infix" really a word?

ml1 said:

Good question.  Since they often accept slang, I tried fixin, to no avail.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Good question.  Since they often accept slang, I tried fixin, to no avail.

so did I.

and I think it was the day before that they concluded "motte" was not a word. It most certainly is.

Inion is a word and they wouldn't accept it yesterday. 3 points from genius. Story of my life...

It annoys me that they don't accept "inline."

yahooyahoo said:

It annoys me that they don't accept "inline."

but they do accept "online"

and it's also baffling to me what words with foreign language origins they accept and don't accept. Today's puzzle has one that they do. And there are food words in particular that seem arbitrary to me. For instance, "naan" is acceptable but "vindaloo" and "daal" are not. Go figure.

I bizarrely got infix. I questioned it and my mathematician spouse tells me that in 2 + 2, for instance, the + is an infix. 

Got QB! Learned a new word by guessing. Good day to keep plugging away. 

zucca said:

Got QB! Learned a new word by guessing. Good day to keep plugging away. 

Great work!

I'm 2 words and 7 points away. downer

jimmurphy said:

Great work!

I'm 2 words and 7 points away.
downer

I'm 3 words and 16 points away... ready to call it quits for today. I'm just not seeing those last few words and not feeling any great urge to continue looking for them.

alha said:

I'm 3 words and 16 points away... ready to call it quits for today. I'm just not seeing those last few words and not feeling any great urge to continue looking for them.

I totally get that. Some days I'm so happy to stop looking! I was waiting around for appointments this morning and had little cell service and nothing else to do.

Nine words away and most likely going to be happy with that. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Nine words away and most likely going to be happy with that. 

I ended up with three words short on the 15th. Today, I am one word shy and I just can't see it. I am hoping it just comes to me, but I am afraid this is where I am going to end up.

KarenMarlowe said:

I ended up with three words short on the 15th. Today, I am one word shy and I just can't see it. I am hoping it just comes to me, but I am afraid this is where I am going to end up.

Two for me.  stopped trying long ago.

I just got there. But also I had a long car ride….

zucca said:

Well done!

jimmurphy said:

Well done!

Thank you! 

Just got QB! Couple of uncommon words.

Yesterday’s misses were blurb and googol - two I normally get. 

KarenMarlowe said:

Bulgur?

zucca said:

Congrats! Missed “logroll”. Spellcheck says it’s not a word. Oh well.

Got bulgur!

Even with the hints I couldn't get "logroll"

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB! Couple of uncommon words.

Me too! Good day to plug away….

They didn't accept luff as a word, but sailors know it well. (They did take furl which I would put in the same general category.)

sac said:

They didn't accept luff as a word, but sailors know it well. (They did take furl which I would put in the same general category.)

I try luff every time. So much less obscure and more legit than some of the words that count

zucca said:

I try luff every time. So much less obscure and more legit than some of the words that count

Me too. Despite knowing that they don't seem to ever add words.

I wonder if that "Think we missed a word?" address on the Hints page has ever resulted in any change whatsoever.

congrats to those who reached QB yesterday and today...I came within 2 yesterday and am stuck at 3 away today. 

alha said:

congrats to those who reached QB yesterday and today...I came within 2 yesterday and am stuck at 3 away today. 

Stuck at one away again today. I just can't see it. Oh well... 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.