The NEW Biden VP discussion thread

drummerboy said:

is anyone else getting multiple texts from Biden every day?

It's annoying.

Yes

Smedley said:

I didn't, but I will.

I just did. She is good but I would expect nothing less of an experienced Prosecutor.

Morganna said:

Smedley said:

Funny, I didn’t know a whole lot about Harris before the kavanaugh hearings but a lot of folks spoke highly of her, so I had high expectations. But ultimately I thought she was only so-so vs. kavanaugh. I thought klobuchar, who I knew even less about beforehand, was better. 

And through the debates I thought Harris was again, only so-so. She had her moments, but overall I didn’t find her very impressive, and I still don’t. I think Abrams would be a stronger vp choice. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Did you watch her against Barr?  I think you are right that different people just respond to different styles of communication.  Here's a few minutes of Sen. Harris questioning Barr.

That was painful. Love it! But that makes her a great prosecutor, not necessarily a great VP

STANV said:

Smedley said:

I didn't, but I will.

I just did. She is good but I would expect nothing less of an experienced Prosecutor.

It's very easy to walk into a deposition with a list of questions and be a hardass.  I'll bet every one of us here could have performed similarly.  It's fine and appropriate that she treated him with hostility, but let's not assign any consequential character traits to it.  

Red_Barchetta said:

It's very easy to walk into a deposition with a list of questions and be a hardass.  I'll bet every one of us here could have performed similarly.  It's fine and appropriate that she treated him with hostility, but let's not assign any consequential character traits to it.  

Perhaps it is easy to have a list of questions and be tough but I've watched her in these hearings with Barr and Kavanaugh, when that was everyone's goal, and I compared her performance to the other Senators and felt she did a great job. 

It's more than her prosecutorial style. I watched her yesterday laying out the plans for the police reform bill that she co-authored with Sen. Cory Booker. She held my attention on a stage with two of my political favorites Sen. Cory Booker and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries. She messaged it beautifully. If she spends her time this season, discussing the bill on MSNBC and CNN, mixed with appearances on those daytime network discussion shows that I hate, I think she'll garner quite a bit of support. 

If Biden had her as second in command, I think she would capture the imagination of many who are less enchanted with him. Harris has fire.

I was watching her once on stage and remembering the old line about Ginger Rogers. She danced with Fred Astaire but did it backwards and in heels. 

I'm thinking Senator Harris owns a pair of Manolo Blahnik's.

Morganna said:

Red_Barchetta said:

Perhaps it is easy to have a list of questions and be tough but I've watched her in these hearings with Barr and Kavanaugh, when that was everyone's goal, and I compared her performance to the other Senators and felt she did a great job. 

It's more than her prosecutorial style. I watched her yesterday laying out the plans for the police reform bill that she co-authored with Sen. Cory Booker. She held my attention on a stage with two of my political favorites Sen. Cory Booker and Rep. Hakeem Jeffries. She messaged it beautifully. If she spends her time this season, discussing the bill on MSNBC and CNN, mixed with appearances on those daytime network discussion shows that I hate, I think she'll garner quite a bit of support. 

If Biden had her as second in command, I think she would capture the imagination of many who are less enchanted with him. Harris has fire.

I was watching her once on stage and remembering the old line about Ginger Rogers. She danced with Fred Astaire but did it backwards and in heels. 

I'm thinking Senator Harris owns a pair of Manolo Blahnik's.

Nope. Converse sneakers. 

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/09/8394464/kamala-harris-converse

I agree with you about Kamala. 

cramer said:

Nope. Converse sneakers. 

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/09/8394464/kamala-harris-converse

I agree with you about Kamala. 

Yes but.....

Klobuchar withdrew her name as a VP possibility and said it should be a woman of color.

jamie said:

Klobuchar withdrew her name as a VP possibility and said it should be a woman of color.

I heard that and thought it pretty much sunk Warren's chance. I doubt Klobuchar was a real contender and with that in mind she could afford to take the high ground. With all that is going on in her state she will have to run again and her record has been criticized. She made a calculation to endorse Biden after pulling out of the race, probably hoping to get the VP spot. I think she now had little choice.

Morganna said:

I heard that and thought it pretty much sunk Warren's chance. I doubt Klobuchar was a real contender and with that in mind she could afford to take the high ground. With all that is going on in her state she will have to run again and her record has been criticized. She made a calculation to endorse Biden after pulling out of the race, probably hoping to get the VP spot. I think she now had little choice.

unless it turned out Biden thought Klobuchar would be the best working partner out there, I don't see what else she brought to the table compared to the other women under consideration. 

ml1 said:

unless it turned out Biden thought Klobuchar would be the best working partner out there, I don't see what else she brought to the table compared to the other women under consideration. 

True. I keep wondering if he tips his hand when he does these interviews. I just don't see him as being that adroit at avoiding a direct question.

She's safe in her Senate seat till Jan. 2025. 

While it would seem that Harris is an obvious choice the fact that Biden has not yet announced his decision raises doubts.

STANV said:

While it would seem that Harris is an obvious choice the fact that Biden has not yet announced his decision raises doubts.

Some context on the chronology, from the NYT last weekend:

The process has unfolded in several stages, according to people familiar with the search. In April and May, advisers to Mr. Biden contacted more than a dozen Democratic women to ask whether they would be willing to be vetted for the vice presidency. ...

For those who agreed to move ahead, the next step was interviewing with members of Mr. Biden’s screening committee. ...

Only in recent days has the process moved toward more intrusive scrutiny of the candidates’ sensitive private matters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/us/politics/joe-biden-vice-president.html

STANV said:

Biden said he would announce his VP pick around August 1. He should not hurry the process, it is too important. And besides, almost anyone he picks would be an improvement over Pence (look at his track record as Indiana governor, and that was BEFORE he met Trump). 

why is everyone so impatient?  Sheesh, the convention isn't for two more months.  Relax!

STANV said:

As an armchair strategist, here's a fact I've been turning over for a month or so. With the painful process of facing the racism in the country, I keep thinking that it would be a small gesture of healing by choosing Senator Harris, as she surprised many of us with her direct challenge to Biden about his position on bussing and her personal experience with it on the debate stage. No attack has taken him so off guard. As I see it, aside from the obvious racism from some Americans we are now talking about people who may not have thought of themselves as being part of the problem. 

Isn't that what Sen. Harris directed at V.P. Biden? A few months ago I wondered if that attack put her out of the running. Now I'm viewing it as a way to begin some healing.

Maybe, I should select a co-President instead? 

mtierney said:

Maybe, I should select a co-President instead? 

I don't get what you mean.

Morganna said:

STANV said:

As an armchair strategist, here's a fact I've been turning over for a month or so. With the painful process of facing the racism in the country, I keep thinking that it would be a small gesture of healing by choosing Senator Harris, as she surprised many of us with her direct challenge to Biden about his position on bussing and her personal experience with it on the debate stage. No attack has taken him so off guard. As I see it, aside from the obvious racism from some Americans we are now talking about people who may not have thought of themselves as being part of the problem. 

Isn't that what Sen. Harris directed at V.P. Biden? A few months ago I wondered if that attack put her out of the running. Now I'm viewing it as a way to begin some healing.

Or Susan Rice, Stacey Abrams, Val Demings, Keisha Lance Bottoms, ...

Plenty of good POC candidates, no need to rush. 

basil said:

Or Susan Rice, Stacey Abrams, Val Demings, Keisha Lance Bottoms, ...

Plenty of good POC candidates, no need to rush. 

Admittedly I am in a rush to have the news. I am dying to rally round the first female VP. Something positive to break the onslaught of disturbing news. And in the Senator's case, it is more than her being a person of color, it is about her confronting Biden directly before this nation wide attention. She got a bump in the polls then lost momentum. Perhaps looking back people will see her gamble as bravery.

I've said in previous posts that I add a great deal of weight to a former candidate.  I'm always preaching to my female friends to get out there, make their voices heard and ask for the order. Mika Brzezinski wrote a book and started a community called Know Your Value.  I loudly support the women who ran for the Presidency. While I've been a huge Warren fan for years, if this is not her time, I would enthusiastically support Harris. I'm digging my heels in. (Manolo knock-offs.)

Frank Bruni also made the case for Tammy Duckworth, and it is a convincing case: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/opinion/sunday/tammy-duckworth-biden-2020.html

Opinion piece on the patriotism of the protesters by Tammy Duckworth: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/03/opinions/what-patriotism-looks-like-duckworth/index.html

basil said:

Frank Bruni also made the case for Tammy Duckworth, and it is a convincing case: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/opinion/sunday/tammy-duckworth-biden-2020.html

He makes a good case.  I have always loved the Cadet Bone Spurs nickname.  I'm a fan.  I'm wondering about the Bernie supporters. Not an expert but I stumbled across FB posts from his supporters, with a great deal of frustration with Biden and lots of discussion on 3rd party votes. I thought Warren could bring a few of them with her.  

Bruni refers to Warren's age. She just turned 71 but I put stock in physical fitness and Warren seems like someone who could joyfully work a grueling schedule and travel around the world on assignment. She has already  put her health records out there.  Many people start having health issues ten to twenty years younger than Warren so it's all relative. Warren is 5'8". 129 lbs.  I think she could get the job done.

STANV said:

Tammy:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-tammy-duckworth-tucker-carlson-20200707-d3hnwe22cjgfbeyql6ys3low2i-story.html

I have seen pieces of his show, channel surfing and he moves me to violent impulses.  Where or where does he get the nerve? 

Back to Senator Duckworth, when I read the Bruni piece, he mentioned her appeal as a working mother. Pretty impressive but I thought that maybe she didn't run for President because of the sacrifice it would require.  Coincidently she appeared both on Rachel Maddow's show and also as a guest of Donna Bash. It was on the Donna Bash interview that the topic of working mom's came up and they agreed that more government support was needed. Tammy Duckworth added that she has her challenges with a Senator's schedule and was concerned about her child's schooling, as they haven't decided if they will be open half the week or be totally online. She volunteered her concern as to how she was going to arrange things. This didn't sound to me like someone who is anxious to take on the VP spot. However when she was asked the inevitable question she said as other candidates have said that she will do everything to support  Biden's candidacy.

No one ever asked a Male candidate about how he would arrange child care.

STANV said:

No one ever asked a Male candidate about how he would arrange child care.

Dana Bash and she were discussing legislation. She brought it up, mentioning she was concerned about her child's school schedule if they do not open fulltime. But I would have no hesitation asking a friend if she could take on a huge task while she was raising 2 little ones. My friends and I have those conversations all the time and I've been in a business partnership with someone who specifically asked me to cover for times she needed to be with her kids. She was not a single parent. I don't know that many families that split the child rearing evenly. But I'd ask a male who was in charge of raising a child  as well.

On a different note, we have no problem asking if a person can handle the job for a variety of reasons, age, health, gender, family status.  I've been asked as a female if I could handle running a huge club and telling the bouncers what to do. I said "Watch me" and got the job. All fair questions. 

If you think these considerations are intrusive or inappropriate , you should check out applications for cat adoptions.  By the way many rescues require home visits. Here's just a few.

Who will take the cat if you can no longer care for them.

How long will the cat be alone.

Will they be indoor only.

Who will be responsible for the feeding and litter box cleaning.

Are you aware that they must visit a vet once a year.

How many people are in the house.

How many pets have you had.

Have you ever surrendered a pet to a shelter.

Are you aware that a kitten may bite or scratch a  child.

How old are the children in the house.

etc.

So yes, I ask a lot of questions.

I hope Biden's team will be as thorough.

Both @basil and @STANV will like this ad. Seeing some good ads for her from VoteVets.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.