The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

The story I was hoping would be readable by all, today, concerned the story about the golf course in Denver and the need for the city to increase affordable housing and another link — totally unrelated-able — re the Air Force general’s speech and an AI story which was repudiated very quickly, due to fear mongering blowback.

I believe Dave was looking for an a explanation for a seemingly aborted story of the AI story and the scary supposition posed by the general.  

Someone here seems to have juxtaposed the two stories.

Neither of the stories had legs, it appears. 

OK.  Sound reasons.  I am always wary of the Time's tendency to become obsessed with bad news from a particular area (witness their coverage of the supposed Californian "hellscape").

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

PC or Mac?

PC/Firefox

As I have Apple devices (which mtierney also has) it's possible that clicking an Apple News link causes it to open to in an Apple News app for me. That means it's not accessible for everybody.

mtierney said:

I believe Dave was looking for an a explanation for a seemingly aborted story of the AI story and the scary supposition posed by the general.

The explanation could be found in lots of places, as drummerboy noted. But not in National Review, which raised alarm about the original report.

Political cartoonists never miss a story!

mtierney said:

It may interest you to know that some of the loudest, most urgent calls for government regulation of AI are coming from leaders of AI research.

But maybe Mike Smith, political cartoonist, has a better suggestion for who should regulate it.

ridski said:

As I have Apple devices (which mtierney also has) it's possible that clicking an Apple News link causes it to open to in an Apple News app for me. That means it's not accessible for everybody.

makes sense

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

It may interest you to know that some of the loudest, most urgent calls for government regulation of AI are coming from leaders of AI research.

But maybe Mike Smith, political cartoonist, has a better suggestion for who should regulate it.

I appreciated seeing the cartoonist work because it seemed,  early on, I was among the very few here who “knew” of the incident, before it seemed to be worthy of censorship.

Are we, as a nation, controllable and easily patted on our heads?

mtierney said:

I appreciated seeing the cartoonist work because it seemed,  early on, I was among the very few here who “knew” of the incident, before it seemed to be worthy of censorship.

Are we, as a nation, controllable and easily patted on our heads?

Was the cartoon drawn by an AI? Because it depicts Americans as everyone in the rest of the world has seen them for at least the last 60 years. 

mtierney said:

where do you find so many painfully stupid cartoons?

The reason there is so much gun violence is that there is NOT much government regulation in the majority of states. And not a whole lot of federal regulation either.

ridski said:

Was the cartoon drawn by an AI?

Yes. You can tell by the speech balloon. It’s a large language model.

DaveSchmidt said:

Yes. You can tell by the speech balloon. It’s a large language model.

Groan… ;-)

I thought the cartoon matched the poster. Shooting from the hip, always wide of the mark.

Also, India has a major industry manufacturing trains for public transport. A few years back, several Australian States here purchased  new rolling stock/ fleet from India to be manufactured there, then delivered here in each State’s unique livery. 
So safety/reliability would be key news.

GoSlugs said:

OK.  Sound reasons.  I am always wary of the Time's tendency to become obsessed with bad news from a particular area (witness their coverage of the supposed Californian "hellscape").

mtierney said:

when will we fix natural stupidity instead of relying on artificial intelligence?

Jaytee said:

mtierney said:

when will we fix natural stupidity instead of relying on artificial intelligence?

Do your put-downs make you feel better?

If so, why?

I often disagree with you, Jaytee, am I also imbued with natural stupidity?

RealityForAll said:

If so, why?

You do seem to get "confused" an awful lot. 20-30 post discussions that hinge on some basic misunderstanding that you had with the original post.  I don't know if that is a matter of stupidity but, after the first couple dozen times, it does become tedious.

RealityForAll said:

If so, why?

Are you by any chance the cartoonist? I know you disagree with me quite often. That’s a good thing.

Well, after watching the Duggars documentary on Sunday, I decided to spend the last couple of days reading the threads from the closest we ever got to one of those nutbars - Pennboy2. Ah, memory lane! 

Fun fact: PB2 still has an account here, he just got so offended by our centrist American values he's refused to post anything for the last 10 years.

ridski said:

Well, after watching the Duggars documentary on Sunday, I decided to spend the last couple of days reading the threads from the closest we ever got to one of those nutbars - Pennboy2. Ah, memory lane! 

Fun fact: PB2 still has an account here, he just got so offended by our centrist American values he's refused to post anything for the last 10 years.

I always figured that despite the bluster, he got tired of being rhetorically trounced. 

ridski said:

Wow, has it really been 10 years?!

jimmurphy said:

ridski said:

Wow, has it really been 10 years?!

Almost to the day! May 2013.

PB2 stopped posting when he took a senior banking position in London and moved there.  Met him twice in Hong Kong when he was here on business just after he stopped posting.  He's a traditional conservative Catholic who would likely join Opus Dei if he hasn't already.  Enjoyed meeting him even though we see the world differently. And he spends time in Vietnam, where his wife is from, so we share an Asia connection. 

The Sbenois visit in HK was more enjoyable because we've had much more interaction over the years, usually in the form of an afternoon phone call about all things MOL.  He was sold on the mango smoothie. 

GoSlugs said:

RealityForAll said:

If so, why?

You do seem to get "confused" an awful lot. 20-30 post discussions that hinge on some basic misunderstanding that you had with the original post.  I don't know if that is a matter of stupidity but, after the first couple dozen times, it does become tedious.

No confusion on my part.  The confusion seems to be entirely yours.  My question was explicitly posed to Jaytee.  Yet, you, GoSlugs, have first responded to my question as if you are Jaytee.  

Are you confused as to your on-screen identity?

dave said:

PB2 stopped posting when he took a senior banking position in London and moved there.  Met him twice in Hong Kong when he was here on business just after he stopped posting.  He's a traditional conservative Catholic who would likely join Opus Dei if he hasn't already.  Enjoyed meeting him even though we see the world differently. And he spends time in Vietnam, where his wife is from, so we share an Asia connection. 

was he as pompous in person as his posts suggested?

RealityForAll said:

No confusion on my part.  The confusion seems to be entirely yours.  My question was explicitly posed to Jaytee.  Yet, you, GoSlugs, have first responded to my question as if you are Jaytee.  

Are you confused as to your on-screen identity?

ml1 said:

dave said:

70% of his online persona's pomposity.

dave said:

ml1 said:

70% of his online persona's pomposity.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!