SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 227 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM EDT

From the National Weather Service:
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 227 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM EDT 
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS 
NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE ATLANTIC BERGEN BURLINGTON CAMDEN CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND 
EASTERN UNION ESSEX GLOUCESTER HUDSON HUNTERDON MERCER MIDDLESEX MONMOUTH MORRIS OCEAN 
PASSAIC SALEM SOMERSET SUSSEX WARREN $$ 

There is a line of significant thunderstorms running north-northeast from Fredrick Maryland to Rutland Vermont, and moving north-northeast at this time. This weather is currently west of us, and may dissipate before it reaches here, but conditions are good for the further development of this front and the storms associated with it for the rest of the afternoon.

Watch the radar and pay attention to your surroundings. If you hear thunder, assuming lightning.

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 227 IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EDT THIS EVENING... 
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...
NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK. .

DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. 
PLEASE LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR GO TO WEATHER.GOV ON THE INTERNET FOR MORE INFORMATION 
ABOUT THE FOLLOWING HAZARDS. 

NWS Radar:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=dix&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

We need rain badly.

So that means will be dry slotted.

I'm surprised the storms are still so far away -- it's getting dark and some of those clouds are impressive!

My daughter was supposed to be flying out of EWR at 6:00 and her flight is delayed two hours, apparently because the incoming flight was on a gate hold at its origin (Denver) until just now. So this makes sense as the reason for that gate hold. It did take off about 45 minutes ago which is on track for the two hour delay, so hopefully the storms will get through and out by then.

Second line of storms forming in front of the main action, but it looks like the worst of it may go north of us.

joy said:
We need rain badly.

So that means will be dry slotted.

Unfortunately, these storms will not drop the type of soaking rain we need.

I'll bet that Southeast Texas would like to send us some of theirs!

sac said:

Seriously. There's a tornado report from earlier today just north of San Antonio.

First ka-BOOM just now!

There are a couple of small storms about 1/2 hour or less away.

beppolina said:
First ka-BOOM just now!

Where are you?

Huh. Central Connecticut is actually bright and sunny. It was getting very stormy looking for awhile, but nothing happened. Guess it got stuck over NJ.

It was coming down sideways by the Livingston Mall about 20 minutes ago. Just made it inside and it seems to have caught up with me again.

max_weisenfeld said:

sac said:
Seriously. There's a tornado report from earlier today just north of San Antonio.

What? I'm IN San Antonio. How did I miss that? Obviously because there's no SAOL.

Round two within the hour.

Pouring now in Maplewood.

joan_crystal said:
Pouring now in Maplewood.

Told you.

sac said:
My daughter was supposed to be flying out of EWR at 6:00 and her flight is delayed two hours, apparently because the incoming flight was on a gate hold at its origin (Denver) until just now. So this makes sense as the reason for that gate hold. It did take off about 45 minutes ago which is on track for the two hour delay, so hopefully the storms will get through and out by then.

Flight now delayed to 9:50 (almost 4 hours) ... I sure hope they don't cancel it. (Not that I wouldn't mind having a little more time with her, but not that way.)

When I went into the medical imaging center at 5:30pm the sun was shining. When I went to leave at 6:30pm it was raining like the great flood (of course, my umbrella was in the car, not with me). I just heard a huge roar and ran into the kitchen -- and it's raining like crazy again! I think I'll go out on the porch and watch -- I hope it drags the humidity out.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.