Replacement driver’s license

I recently realized that I’ve lost/misplaced my wallet.  There appears to be a website to order a replacement license online.  Just provide lic. Num, + other info, and valid credit cardd number.  All done online with NO need to go to an office.

While this is really appealing it’s also too easy to be true.  Has anyone gotten a replacement license this way…or am I being phished?

Thanks


The only website you should be looking at for this is njmvc.  Nothing else.  I think you will need to make an appointment to go in.


That said, I made an appointment for 9:15 today for a new registration.  I was in and out in 10 minutes and everyone was polite and efficient.


Apollo_T said:

I recently realized that I’ve lost/misplaced my wallet.  There appears to be a website to order a replacement license online.  Just provide lic. Num, + other info, and valid credit cardd number.  All done online with NO need to go to an office.

While this is really appealing it’s also too easy to be true.  Has anyone gotten a replacement license this way…or am I being phished?

Thanks

As long as it’s the DMV website.  Go there to get a duplicate, very easy. 


The online replacement is fairly easy, unless you need the replacement asap, as long as it's being done through NJ MVC. 


NJMVC

You pay a couple'a bucks, IMMEDIATELY, you can download and print a temporary. The permanent replacement will be sent by mail.


I tried to fly once with temporary drivers liscense, I did not fare well. It's not an acceptable form of ID in some instances. 


the18thletter said:

I tried to fly once with temporary drivers liscense, I did not fare well. It's not an acceptable form of ID in some instances. 

Temporary licenses usually are pieces of paper that can be easily photoshopped. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if most bars and liquor stores refuse to accept them.

I have a passport card for backup.


DanDietrich said:

That said, I made an appointment for 9:15 today for a new registration.  I was in and out in 10 minutes and everyone was polite and efficient.

Springfield? I need to do mine this month and want to go in person, as last year mine never came via mail and I’ve been traveling around with my printed out “receipt,” dreading a DMV visit!


Heynj said:

Springfield? I need to do mine this month and want to go in person, as last year mine never came via mail and I’ve been traveling around with my printed out “receipt,” dreading a DMV visit!

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but the Springfield office on Mountain Ave closed in February...it's now located on Route 22

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/springfield/sections/government/articles/springfield-mvc-headed-to-new-route-22-location-center-st-spot-to-close-saturday


alha said:

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but the Springfield office on Mountain Ave closed in February...it's now located on Route 22

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/springfield/sections/government/articles/springfield-mvc-headed-to-new-route-22-location-center-st-spot-to-close-saturday

also, if the transaction you want to conduct can be done online it must be done online.  You need an appointment to go in.


Springfield, formerly behind the Springfield library, now on rt 22, East. ---- now, only handles titles and registrations.


My last two inspections were worth the drive to Eatontown. Arrival to completion in less than 10 minutes. 


I'm a fan of Rahway inspection center. My son's 1st car passed inspection without a catalytic converter. 


the18thletter said:

I'm a fan of Rahway inspection center. My son's 1st car passed inspection without a catalytic converter. 

They don't check for emissions any more.  Another successful rollback by the older generation.  Convenience and savings before Climate.


DanDietrich said:

They don't check for emissions any more.  Another successful rollback by the older generation.  Convenience and savings before Climate.

1995 and older are exempt from emissions for newer cars the computer gives the reading vs the tailpipe. 


the18thletter said:

I'm a fan of Rahway inspection center. My son's 1st car passed inspection without a catalytic converter. 

so he removed the cat?

They have cameras down in the pit where they drive the car over slowly looking for missing cats. 
There’s no inspection anymore for cars before and up’95. But you didn’t say if his car was in that group of OBD 1. If his car is newer with OBD 11 he won’t pass inspection without the cat. 


Jaytee said:

so he removed the cat?

They have cameras down in the pit where they drive the car over slowly looking for missing cats. 
There’s no inspection anymore for cars before and up’95. But you didn’t say if his car was in that group of OBD 1. If his car is newer with OBD 11 he won’t pass inspection without the cat. 

Car was stolen and recovered and all that was taken when it was found was the cat and the stereo. It was a 94 Honda accord so I assume he was exempt from testing but they missed it on the visual. He just straight piped the missing cat so he wasn't desperate to immediately buy another car. 


the18thletter said:

Car was stolen and recovered and all that was taken when it was found was the cat and the stereo. It was a 94 Honda accord so I assume he was exempt from testing but they missed it on the visual. He just straight piped the missing cat so he wasn't desperate to immediately buy another car. 

They won’t even look for a cat on a ‘94 car. Their testing equipment is set up for OBD 11, which came into effect in ‘95, so he won’t ever need inspection. 

The only problem with the the older cars is you can’t diagnose a problem with the scanners today if your check engine light comes on. 


Jaytee said:

They won’t even look for a cat on a ‘94 car. Their testing equipment is set up for OBD 11, which came into effect in ‘95, so he won’t ever need inspection. 

The only problem with the the older cars is you can’t diagnose a problem with the scanners today if your check engine light comes on. 

This happened over 10 years ago and he got rid of the car before it needed to be reinspected but I've gone to Rahway ever since. 


DanDietrich said:

the18thletter said:

I'm a fan of Rahway inspection center. My son's 1st car passed inspection without a catalytic converter. 

They don't check for emissions any more.  Another successful rollback by the older generation.  Convenience and savings before Climate.

I thought that was the ONLY thing checked in the inspections these days?  They used to check brakes, signals, etc. but I thought that was eliminated a number of years ago.  Just what DO they check?


sac said:

I thought that was the ONLY thing checked in the inspections these days?  They used to check brakes, signals, etc. but I thought that was eliminated a number of years ago.  Just what DO they check?

They only check for emissions by hooking up your car’s computer to their scanners. If your check engine light is on you fail. 
florida has zero inspections… nada…


sac said:

I thought that was the ONLY thing checked in the inspections these days?  They used to check brakes, signals, etc. but I thought that was eliminated a number of years ago.  Just what DO they check?

They still check for emissions except on cars 1994 or older.


the18thletter said:

sac said:

I thought that was the ONLY thing checked in the inspections these days?  They used to check brakes, signals, etc. but I thought that was eliminated a number of years ago.  Just what DO they check?

They still check for emissions except on cars 1994 or older.

only through the scanner, not from the tail pipe.  That's what led to the VW scandal.  They just wrote software into the computer to send out fake readings.


DanDietrich said:

only through the scanner, not from the tail pipe.  That's what led to the VW scandal.  They just wrote software into the computer to send out fake readings.

Yes. Cars before 1994 don't have scanners which is why they are the only ones exempted from emissions testing. 


Jaytee said:

sac said:

I thought that was the ONLY thing checked in the inspections these days?  They used to check brakes, signals, etc. but I thought that was eliminated a number of years ago.  Just what DO they check?

They only check for emissions by hooking up your car’s computer to their scanners. If your check engine light is on you fail. 
florida has zero inspections… nada…

I thought we were talking about NJ.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.