Movie Talk

DaveSchmidt said:

Not boxing, but close: Ever see Night and the City (a.k.a. Hardly Anybody Down Here Likes Anyone)? I caught it for the first time a few weeks ago. Worth it just for the young Herbert Lom.

The original 1950 right? There was a remake with De Niro. 

I don't think I saw the original. I'll try to find it. 

Morganna said:

The original 1950 right? There was a remake with De Niro.

I don't think I saw the original. I'll try to find it.

Ah, didn’t know there was a remake. Looks they turned it into a boxing movie after all. It’d be a fairly easy switch from the original wrestling.

And, yup, that original one, starring Richard Widmark. It’s dark.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

This is worth a watch. As someone commented "It's like a painting brought to life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNw49VtretQ

Except it's a short story you can read and listen to with no other images.

I don't understand.

This is what the link takes me to.

damn youtube.

It's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCxNntn2yc

DB - you can embed videos by clicking on the video icon next to the emoticons and pasting it in there.  grin

it used to just embed by itself. doesn't it do that anymore?

drummerboy said:

it used to just embed by itself. doesn't it do that anymore?

It hasn't worked this way since last July.  I did reach out to the text editor guys who wrote the script - but no update.  I think the main reason is that when you copy the URL from the browser - it now contains the html link code as well.  In the past it only copied plain text which was easier to convert.

That's weird. Why would a coder decrease the functionality of their code?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've done it since July. I've only noticed it very recently.

Hmm, wonder if the video button would work for embedding Twitter links, or does it only work for youtube?

I love running across old Sherlock Holmes movies. Maybe I need to buy a DVD collection if one exists. Right now when I can't find any Law & Order SVU I tackle my insomnia with my collection of West Wing. I'm watching Season 3 which starts off with a special episode in honor of 9/11. If you have never seen Isaac and Ishmael it was one of their best and was introduced by the cast. It started 10/3. Give it a try.

For MSNBC groupies, Lawrence O'Donnell was a producer and writer for the show and acted in at least one episode.

If you are frustrated by this administration, I recommend time traveling to President Bartlett.

Bartlett was the leader in this one, too, which just came out on a Criterion Collection Blu-ray that I watched Saturday.

DaveSchmidt said:

Bartlett was the leader in this one, too, which just came out on a Criterion Collection Blu-ray that I watched Saturday.

Jeez, I’ve seen this movie dozens of times. It’s soooo good. 

For the sci fi fans, this recent, well reviewed flick is on Amazon Video.  Mercifully short, though it takes a little while to get going.  It's framed as if its an episode of a Twilight Zone-type show.  Takes place in 1950s small town New Mexico.  There are some sly references to sci fi/horror classics so pay attention:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_vast_of_night

Watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night. By the Coen Brothers. I wasn't sure what to expect but I loved it. Especially the title section. The whole thing was lyrical, poetic, delightful (although very violent). 

Last night I watched  DIANE, an indie that didn't get much press last year but that deserves viewing. It stars Mary Kay Place who has always been dependable in supporting roles but here takes on the full weight of this  very emotional, very realistic role. Aging, family, trust, regret, shame, comfort and security, all explored calmly and beautifully. Bonus: strong supporting work by Andrea Martin, always a favourite actor of mine - here in a very dramatic , non-comedy role.  I think it was on Prime but it should be easy to find. 

And last night I watched The Two Mrs. Carrolls. 

Just saw Election with Mathew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon. Great movie. If you haven't seen it check it out. Showing on SHO at the moment.

There's a cute rom-com playing on SHO these days called Ode to Joy. Interesting premise, good performances. Catch it if you like that kind of thing.

Hoosiers was on last night. One of the movies I must watch if it's on, even though I have the DVD.

Got me to thinking about sports movies. Any favorites?

My top two are Hoosiers and North Dallas Forty (Nick Nolte, Mac Davis).

For a “pure” competitive sports movie*, Ford v Ferrari was right up there.

* As distinguished from sports movies that are also character studies (Rocky), romances (Bull Durham), comedies (Bingo Long), tragedies (Requiem for a Heavyweight), procedurals (Eight Men Out), tearjerkers (Brian’s Song), and others too many to mention.

I watched "Knives Out" last night. I was never a big Agatha Christie fan but it was fun .A great cast. It was so easy to miss little details and developments. I should probably watch it again. 

drummerboy said:

Hoosiers was on last night. One of the movies I must watch if it's on, even though I have the DVD.

Got me to thinking about sports movies. Any favorites?

My top two are Hoosiers and North Dallas Forty (Nick Nolte, Mac Davis).

Cinderella Man!  Any Given Sunday. Rocky. Requiem for a Heavyweight.Not sure if it qualifies as a true sports movie but The Longest Yard, Burt Reynolds version.

DaveSchmidt said:

For a “pure” competitive sports movie*, Ford v Ferrari was right up there.

* As distinguished from sports movies that are also character studies (Rocky), romances (Bull Durham), comedies (Bingo Long), tragedies (Requiem for a Heavyweight), procedurals (Eight Men Out), tearjerkers (Brian’s Song), and others too many to mention.

Ford v Ferrari is on HBO this evening at 8:00 pm.  

cramer said:

Ford v Ferrari is on HBO this evening at 8:00 pm.  

Thanks, cramer. My wife wanted to see it in the theater with me but couldn’t make it, so it’s a date tonight.

I haven't seen it either. I'm psyched. 

I watched Ford v Ferrari last night too. Excellent.

As a kid me and my friends were really into cars, and I remember how we were pretty excited when the GT40 came out. But I had no idea of the backstory til now.

Caught up with Knives Out based on above.  We were all entertained. 

Ford v Ferrari was a thrilling movie and well done. I feel that I should thank HBO for showing it. 

I saw a movie called Waitress (2007) last night, starring Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion (with a great small part by Andy Griffith). It was excellent. Acting was great, dialog very sharp. Pies were remarkable.

It's on Amazon Prime if you want to watch.

drummerboy said:

I saw a movie called Waitress (2007) last night, starring Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion (with a great small part by Andy Griffith). It was excellent. Acting was great, dialog very sharp. Pies were remarkable.

Loved that movie. Makes a great double feature with a similar movie, The Good Girl:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_girl

bub said:

drummerboy said:

Loved that movie. Makes a great double feature with a similar movie, The Good Girl:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_girl

Thanks for the rec. Don't know how I missed that one given the cast.

Director Joel Schumacher  has passed.

Lots of good movies from this guy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.