The Mosquito Thread

Mosquitoes have been particularly bad the last couple of weeks - anyone else notice this?

Any new mosquito solutions this year that have worked against the Asian Tiger variety?

FWIW, when I'm outside in mozzie and midge season I wear the repellent patches on the inner hems of my clothing (sleeves, shirt bottoms, skirts/pants hems) as well as a thin layer of a DEET repellent recommended by my allergist. The patches are same as those recommended for infants and toddlers. This combo seems to cut down on the number of bites.

I'm usually one of those attacked first by biting insects, and I react badly to bites and stings, requiring immediate ice treatment, massive antihistamines and occasionally ER visits. (My epipen doesn't help with bites and stings) I've noticed that the patches seem to keep biting insects away for a few hours, which is helpful, but you still need be careful about getting wet or extra sweaty.

Also, be aware of the time of day you're exposed: certain times are worse than others, depending on your location.

Anyone have any luck with the Mosquito Squad?

We've used them the past few years. It makes the difference between being eaten alive being outside versus not knowing it's still mosquito season.

jamie said:

I have started to develop a collection of insect repellant (permethrin-treated) clothing and it really works.  I was originally motivated by ticks and the risks of the illnesses they carry but the permethrin works well for mosquitos and other pests also.  And now I don't put nearly as much repellant on my skin and only on the exposed areas, if any at all.  If you spend a lot of time in the out of doors, I really recommend this approach.  The home-grown permethrin treatments last about 6 weeks/6 machine washings.  Factory treated versions are supposedly good for the expected lifetime of the clothing (about 70 machine washings.)

Caution - Do not use permethrin on skin and do not spray it (to treat clothing or other fabrics) indoors.  I wait for a calm, sunny day and do it outside and let the clothing dry for a couple of hours.  Once dry, there is no smell and no danger (except to the bugs.)  But while wet, it can be hazardous, especially to cats, so be sure to take appropriate precautions.

ok, it's that time of year - anyone have any success with keeping mosquitoes away - they're really getting more prevalent and aggressive at the moment.

I also see a few more mosquito companies signs around - any success with those?

I'm trying mosquito barrier: http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

I am not sure how effective these are, but there are plants that can help with mosquito repelling.   I would love to hear if anyone has had success with this. 

Please let us all know if you have success with the mosquitobarrier product.  

There have been pools of water in Grove park throughout the spring, I don’t remember that in previous years. That’s gonna be Disneyland for mosquitoes later this summer...

jamie said:

ok, it's that time of year - anyone have any success with keeping mosquitoes away - they're really getting more prevalent and aggressive at the moment.

I also see a few more mosquito companies signs around - any success with those?

I'm trying mosquito barrier: http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

This is the third year for this thread.  Have you considered that the problem may exist with a neighbor's property rather than your own?

I'm having my neighbors try out the mosquito barrier as well.  They also notice the issue.  

We've also had the county's mosquito control stop by in the past - but that was usually later in the season.  No real solution there.

I do have a better sprayer which might help - was able to hit some spaces I haven't hit before.  Also, spraying the base of my oak stirred up a lot of flies.

Time will tell.  But I have also a top of the line mosquito trap with CO2 and that didn't make a noticeable difference.

Regarding potential mosquito breeding grounds:

I haven’t been there in a few months, but I recollect a small low- lying area at Underhill that seemed to collect water. The Clinton school end, somewhere outside the track fence. A gully maybe. I vaguely remember seeing vegetation which grows in swampy areas.  If so, I wonder if this might contribute to mosquitoes in surrounding neighborhoods.

dickf3 said:

Regarding potential mosquito breeding grounds:

I haven’t been there in a few months, but I recollect a small low- lying area at Underhill that seemed to collect water. The Clinton school end, somewhere outside the track fence. A gully maybe. I vaguely remember seeing vegetation which grows in swampy areas.  If so, I wonder if this might contribute to mosquitoes in surrounding neighborhoods.

Thanks so much for the heads up on this - it's precisely where we are.  I will investigate, perhaps I could even rig up a hose to spray it down.

I think it was roughly between the long jump area ( visitors stands side of track) and fence separating field from back of Clinton school property). I’ve been going to Underhill on and off for years, but only noticed it once, this winter, while running around periphery of field.

ah thanks - I'm on Burroughs - so that a little further away.

As far as the mosquito barrier - mosquitoes were super aggressive still at around 5pm.  Wasn't too bad at noon.  Will try to up the concentration amount and hit at a peak hour.  Normally one spray supposed to last up to 3 weeks.

I have not found an effective treatment to get rid of mosquitoes and I am reluctant to use poisons, because, well, they are poison. Thermacell mosquito repellents seems to work pretty well although they do not address the underlying issue. One of the first times I used them, we were in Chincoteague (mosquito central) and I think only one person got bit once. https://www.thermacell.com/

"got bit"   May I suggest "was bitten"?   That seems more melodious to me.

marylago said:

I have not found an effective treatment to get rid of mosquitoes and I am reluctant to use poisons, because, well, they are poison. Thermacell mosquito repellents seems to work pretty well although they do not address the underlying issue. One of the first times I used them, we were in Chincoteague (mosquito central) and I think only one person got bit once. https://www.thermacell.com/

I’m ordering one right now. Will update as soon as I use it. $24:99 nit bad if it works. Thanks for posting.

So far - I think the mosquito barrier is helping.  I'm also getting a lot of old leaves out from under some bushes and from behind the garage - so maybe the combination of the two things is helping a lot.  There was a lot of wetness under the leaves.

I've been reading that you're due for a very large hatching of cicadas this year. Will that affect the mosquito numbers in any way??

Cicadas are expected considerable south of us. Not in NJ this year.

drummerboy said:

Cicadas are expected considerable south of us. Not in NJ this year.

From your lips...

Just an update - we hardly notice mosquitoes anymore.  I think the mosquito barrier had an effect!

In the past I've use a pump sprayer.  This time I got a hose attachment which was 100% easier to distribute around the property.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Dial-N-Spray-Hose-End-Sprayer-0841001/204758731

Just wait five years until the spotted lantern flies make it out your way.  They don’t bite, they’re just really big and are stupid bad flyers so they bump into everything repeatedly.  Plus they look disgusting when they find a tree trey like and five hundred start massing on the same tree 

qrysdonnell said:

We've used them the past few years. It makes the difference between being eaten alive being outside versus not knowing it's still mosquito season.

jamie said:

They are killing a lot more than just mosquitos.

So far - haven't seen many.  But I'm sure they start soon.  Anyone else noticing them yet?

What are your strategies this year?

This was a funny idea:

We're currently just using Citronella candles on the deck, although how effective they really are is up for debate.  At the end of last season we purchased this repellant highly recommended by NY Times Wirecutter.   

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacell-Rechargeable-Mosquito-Repeller-Charcoal/334755627?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_zeTUGEXb2xyIUBnwFF19VULXUkDz0TTx1yMEyw0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_197432&clickid=zeTUGEXb2xyIUBnwFF19VULXUkDz0TTx1yMEyw0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383.

However, despite the lack of Deet, after reading the fine print, my wife didn't feel comfortable with it as it's not supposed to be used right near food, and some chemicals are apparently questionable.  So, now we have two never used ThermaCELL E55 repellers that we will either sell or give away ($70 value).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.