MOL updates - please report issues here.

People's avatars are not displaying or loading today on my PC.  Never happened before.  

Yes - we're having an issue with all images at the moment - was hoping to resolve this overnight - but might need another day to fix this.  

hi jamie,

seem to be having another image problem. The photo I posted in this post   is not showing up as a thumbnail on the forums page. It didn't work from the prior post either.

drummerboy said:

hi jamie,

seem to be having another image problem. The photo I posted in this post   is not showing up as a thumbnail on the forums page. It didn't work from the prior post either.

We had "Show last image" off for some categories - I just turned them all on.  Makes more sense this way.

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

hi jamie,

We had "Show last image" off for some categories - I just turned them all on.  Makes more sense this way.

You'd turned them off after someone < ahem > posted an image in his blog.  Said image gave the wrong impression when it appeared as a thumbnail image on the main page/s.

Having said that, when multiple shots are uploaded in one post, am I correct in believing that it is the last shot in the series which will appear as a thumbnail?

I think this will call for more experimentation on my part.  I just tried uploading a small 66 x 38 pixel grey-coloured image as the second image in the last image post I'd made.  Nil appearance as a thumbnail on this occasion.

You won't see it now, it's been deleted.

Mark - your images are fine.  You'll probably get more views with the latest image showing.  It should be the last shot.  It's tricky to determine this if you upload 2 or more at the same time.

jamie, would it be feasible to alter the search function to just return posts with attached images?

jamie said:

Mark - your images are fine.  You'll probably get more views with the latest image showing.  It should be the last shot.  It's tricky to determine this if you upload 2 or more at the same time.

Experimenting ... if you load two images at the same time, it looks like it's the first which appears as the thumbnail.

On this post, I loaded a small 10 x 6 pixel image, first, followed by a second of a more-usual size.

Upon posting, I got this result:

ok, so maybe it's hard to know which one will post first when you do it simultaneously.  And it looks like the first image here is the preview image.  I would recommend not posting images 10 x 6 pixels.  grin

Over past few weeks, I've noticed my login doesn't hold. I will try to notice if it only happens after I've accessed MOL from my iPhone (I more often come in via the desktop) or not. Anyway, I am having to log in much more often than usual - and I have always checked the "keep me logged in" box. Thanks for any info.

cody said:

Over past few weeks, I've noticed my login doesn't hold. I will try to notice if it only happens after I've accessed MOL from my iPhone (I more often come in via the desktop) or not. Anyway, I am having to log in much more often than usual - and I have always checked the "keep me logged in" box. Thanks for any info.

Ditto^^^

Still have to login every time on my iphone too. It’s been a issue for months

cody said:

Don't check the box - you check it if you do NOT want the login info saved on that computer. 

jamie said:

cody said:

Don't check the box - you check it if you do NOT want the login info saved on that computer. 

I do not check the box, and this issue of signing on continues.

jamie said:

Jamie, I've never done anything to the box - I might have misstated in my original post because, until recently, I never had any problem and never really focused on the wording by the box...I have always left the box blank.

cody said:

Jamie, I've never done anything to the box - I might have misstated in my original post because, until recently, I never had any problem and never really focused on the wording by the box...I have always left the box blank.

what browser and device are you using?

mtierney said:

I do not check the box, and this issue of signing on continues.

Are you sure you're not in a private browser window - this was an issue with you in the past?

jamie said:

Are you sure you're not in a private browser window - this was an issue with you in the past?

It’s been an iphone issue only for months. Have no idea if I am in a “private browser window” — whatever that means tongue rolleye

Some browsers such as Chrome will let you browse "incognito"  which loosely translates as without cookies.  Since saved id/passwords are stored as cookies, you need to sign in whenever you enter a website that would otherwise recognize you whenever you you use an incognito window in such a browser.

mtierney said:

jamie said:

It’s been an iphone issue only for months. Have no idea if I am in a “private browser window” — whatever that means
tongue rolleye

Here's the last time we addressed this - it was actually on the previous page in this thread in March:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/mol-updates-please-report-issues-here?page=next&limit=390#discussion-replies-3542648

You also had a similar issue in December:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/iphone-issues?page=next&limit=0#discussion-replies-3532061

Let me know if you're able to find the issue there.  

If others are getting logged out - please let me know the device and browser you're using.

Jamie,

The time needed to refresh the "All Discussions" page seems to have gotten longer over the past few weeks or months. I just timed a couple of refreshes, and my maximum was 12 seconds (and I think I may have had longer lags I wasn't timing). And while I'm willing to wait, the lag may be a turn-off to new users.

yeah - this is something I hope to address shortly.  Might have to archive some of the older discussions perhaps.

refreshing the discussions page shouldn't take that long; it's only a handful of records.

What database do you use? mysql?

Do you have indexes set up properly?

I'm wondering how you calculate the most recent post? Do you have a descending index on the time of post, or are you scanning through to the end of the table?

and yes, it's 4AM. LOL

FWIW, Jamie, yesterday I deleted a lot of stuff, cleaned up my home screen, etc. I dumped  Firefox, etc. For one shining moment, i was able to be sign on here. Later in the day, I was off again. Today, same issue.

Realize Safari swallowed up my Utilities icon. How did that happen, and is it the root cause of this iphone only issue?

You have a Utilities icon on your iPhone?

You can run Chrome on a mobile Apple device.  Give it a try.  I hate Safari and never use it.

drummerboy said:

refreshing the discussions page shouldn't take that long; it's only a handful of records.

What database do you use? mysql?

Do you have indexes set up properly?

I'm wondering how you calculate the most recent post? Do you have a descending index on the time of post, or are you scanning through to the end of the table?

and yes, it's 4AM.
LOL

a few nights a week we do search indexing in the middle of the night - this could slow things down a bit.

There's are a few mysql queries that I noticed that need to be optimized.  They're taking too long to execute.  Not sure if my guys can figure it out this week - but I'm on top of this and hopefully pinned down one of the culprits.

mtierney said:

FWIW, Jamie, yesterday I deleted a lot of stuff, cleaned up my home screen, etc. I dumped  Firefox, etc. For one shining moment, i was able to be sign on here. Later in the day, I was off again. Today, same issue.

Realize Safari swallowed up my Utilities icon. How did that happen, and is it the root cause of this iphone only issue?

ok, so this is an iphone issue only - you were using firefox on the iphone?  I didn't know you could do that  Is this problem only on safari on the iphone then?

jamie said:

ok, so this is an iphone issue only - you were using firefox on the iphone?  I didn't know you could do that  Is this problem only on safari on the iphone then?

There was a firefox icon on my home screen but I never used it.

ridski said:

You have a Utilities icon on your iPhone?

I did, before this issue came up. Never used safari to access utilities — until now.

I'm really confused as to what "Utilities" are on your iPhone.

Edited: Hold on, is "Utilities" a folder on your phone? I have a folder called Utilities.

ridski said:

I'm really confused as to what "Utilities" are on your iPhone.

Edited: Hold on, is "Utilities" a folder on your phone? I have a folder called Utilities.

yes, and my original folder disappeared — found it in Safari. No idea if all this is the root of my MOL sign on issue. Don’t know if I can move the folder back on my home screen. Or if I need to. No other sign on, or password controlled  sites on the iphone have been involved . blank stare

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.