The George Floyd effect. Monuments down. MS flag gone. Worldwide protests. Police more violent than protestors.

Morganna said:

Don't they pull us over for speeding to stop us from speeding? 

do you drive on the highways of NJ? Thr threat of being pulled over is doing nothing to stop speeding. The average speed is at least 10 MPH over the limit. 

ml1 said:

do you drive on the highways of NJ? Thr threat of being pulled over is doing nothing to stop speeding. The average speed is at least 10 MPH over the limit. 

I was thinking residential areas, maybe pulling over someone drunk, someone driving above the speed limit. As for the highway, I guess if you got a few tickets or had your license suspended it would make a difference. I lived most of my life using cabs and subways so I'm not a risk taker behind the wheel. 

As I read these discussions, I've been wondering if women more than men feel a need for police protection.  

My grand jury service was alarming.  As someone who had only served on petit, it was an education.  Hearing the locations was hair raising. I had a different perspective when I locked my door at night.  On at least a couple of occasions I was relieved to see a cop car pull up.

So aside from a racial divide is there also a division in perception by gender?

Feeling safe is an important goal, but I'd challenge you to think about assumptions around how to accomplish that. In those times when you felt relief at seeing a cop car, would you have felt more, less, or about the same safe if the officer did not have a gun? What if we didn't only have police, but a variety of public safety organizations -- would it have to be someone with the power to use violence to create that feeling of safety, or would having someone with official authority but not a police officer also have the same effect? What about the situation felt unsafe -- would better lighting, more people around, other environmental factors, etc have made the situation have felt less threatening to begin with and so not occasion as much a feeling of danger to feel relieved from?

My general point here is that we often accept that because things are done a certain way that is the best way to do them. We put heavy emphasis on an armed police force to give a sense of safety, and we might fear that changing that would mean reducing that sense of safety. But that's not necessarily a sound assumption. I think that among the things the current moment is calling for is for us to really think about what we want (safety definitely being one), look at the true costs of the way we're doing things now (very high -- not least because it means many people feel very unsafe), and have a sense of possibility that, in fact, we can do things differently and better.

There's an Op/Ed on the WaPo right now outlining one vision of how this could work:

Why do we need the police?
Cops prevent violence. But they aren’t the only ones who can do it.

Here's the opening paragraphs (Quoting function seems broken):

The calls to end policing as we know it contain a sort of trap. The best evidence we have makes clear that police are effective in reducing violence, and without designating some group to combat this problem, efforts to weaken them through budget cuts — “defund the police” — are likely to have unanticipated consequences and to destabilize communities. In many cities this is likely to lead to a rise in violence. And research shows that, when violence increases, Americans of all races become more punitive, supporting harsher policing and criminal justice policies. That’s how we got to this point.

Yet none of this means that the police, which have served as an institution of racialized control throughout our nation’s history, are the only group capable of reducing violence. Community leaders and residents have proved adept at overseeing their neighborhoods, caring for their populations and maintaining safe streets. Studies show that this work lowers crime, sometimes dramatically. What happens if we put those people in charge of containing violence, too?

It's crazy that this is still happening while everyone is watching.

In a major new directive by the N.J. Attorney General, all law enforcement agencies will release the names of all cops who have been  fired, demoted or suspended for more than five days due to a major disciplinary violation. Until now, the names of officers have not been released unless they faced criminal charges. Police unions have repeatedly lobbied against any efforts to open disciplinary records.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/06/nj-will-identify-cops-accused-of-serious-violations-in-major-new-directive-by-state-attorney-general.html 

Within minutes of the release of the Attorney General's directive, the president of the state PBA released a letter on Facebook criticizing the directive on the excuse that officer discipline varies from town to town and that in some towns, major discipline could be handed down for a uniform violation. Just more of the same from the state PBA. 

https://www.facebook.com/NJSTATEPBA/photos/a.189445201088520/3417867304912944/

This letter is written by the same state PBA president who accused Sheena Collum of initiating an investigation of a SOPD for use of force in retaliation for the South Orange PBA not agreeing to a 2% wage increase freeze in order to offset a loss of revenues of $1.5 million due to COVID-19, a wage freeze that applied to all Village employees. 

eta - Here's the directive: 

https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/agguide/directives/ag-Directive-2020-5_Major-Discipline.pdf

A CNN editor either missed that there was a missing 'e'... or left it as-is on purpose:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-06-15-20/h_0fb3293193e4dafbd476cdf75d4d7df4

Nineteen Atlanta police officers have resigned over the last 10 days, according to the Atlanta Police Foundation, a nonprofit organization...

The foundation did not state an exact reason for the resignations, but indicated a low moral throughout the department.

I'd say that anyone resigning right now is just helping to self-cleanse their department. Good riddance.

drummerboy said:

I'd say that anyone resigning right now is just helping to self-cleanse their department. Good riddance.

how many of them will go into "private security" where they can rough people up with impunity?

Personally I have a problem with public unions in general.  Government officials make politically motivated deals.  They don't tend to be very good for future taxpayers. 

ml1 said:

‘I Humbly Apologize’: Philadelphia Officials Announce Changes After Protest Response 

The move came hours after a New York Times video revealed that the Philadelphia police had violated the department’s own protocols during a response to a protest this month.

This suggests a number of things:

1. Investigative journalism can be effective
  2. The problem is not generally with the mayor or police chief that all police report to, but the rot is in the police form they command
  3. Police cannot be trusted on to self regulate, you have to investigate them and call them out, every single time

Two (maybe three or four) thumbs up for db's link above.  To repeat:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/26/opinion/blm-protests-police-violence.html

Excellent video + text review of what happened between protesters and police.  Should be linked every time somebody complains about protester behavior.

mjc said:

Two (maybe three or four) thumbs up for db's link above.  To repeat:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/26/opinion/blm-protests-police-violence.html

Excellent video + text review of what happened between protesters and police.  Should be linked every time somebody complains about protester behavior.

I agree this is very well put together, and it clearly shows the police escalating into violence at least in this case). Compliments to NYT for innovating and telling this story through a combination of text, video, and animations. I know they are often criticized on this forum (and sometimes for good reasons), but I am happy they are here (and I am a happy subscriber).

Back to policing, it is clear that these things cannot be dismissed anymore with the "few bad apples" theory. There is just too much overwhelming evidence of militarization, violence, and racism in the police force. I also do not think the mayors and police chiefs seem to be able to control their police (even though they are theoretically in charge of them), the rot seems to be within the police force itself (and unions seem to play a questionable role). So given that, I don't see how you can reasonably expect to fix this incrementally. 

basil said:

I agree this is very well put together, and it clearly shows the police escalating into violence at least in this case). Compliments to NYT for innovating and telling this story through a combination of text, video, and animations. I know they are often criticized on this forum (and sometimes for good reasons), but I am happy they are here (and I am a happy subscriber).

Back to policing, it is clear that these things cannot be dismissed anymore with the "few bad apples" theory. There is just too much overwhelming evidence of militarization, violence, and racism in the police force. I also do not think the mayors and police chiefs seem to be able to control their police (even though they are theoretically in charge of them), the rot seems to be within the police force itself (and unions seem to play a questionable role). So given that, I don't see how you can reasonably expect to fix this incrementally. 

the article is a good example of a phenomenon that social scientists have theorized about for some time. Many of them hypothesize that just the appearance of police in riot gear is enough to raise the probability of violence at a demonstration.  Just there presence raises the threat level.  And in that instance in Seattle, it's exactly what happened.  When the riot police went to the front line, with their canisters of pepper spray, the demonstrators opened their umbrellas to protect themselves.  A minute later, all hell was breaking loose.

The Times has another good piece on police violence - 70 times people have died after saying "I can't breathe" in NYC.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/28/us/i-cant-breathe-police-arrest.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I'm glad some parts of the paper are still working.

drummerboy said:

wow.  Personally, I have never been a fan of the national anthem, and the tune is pretty bombastic.  But this change to a minor key turns it into something beautiful and moving.

I always feel sorry for the word “gleaming” in that song. It gets short shrift from everyone who sings it.

here we go again

The fatal shooting of a man in a parked car by Phoenix police officers over the weekend, captured on video in gruesome detail, is fueling a new round of protests against violent policing tactics.

The video showed several uniformed officers surrounding a parked car while pointing their guns at the man inside the vehicle. One of the officers shouted at the man, threatening to shoot him. The Phoenix Police Department identified the man as James Porter Garcia, 28.

Then, in front of witnesses who were recording the episode, the officers unleashed a volley of gunfire. The victim was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to a statement by the Phoenix Police Department.

drummerboy said:

here we go again

The fatal shooting of a man in a parked car by Phoenix police officers over the weekend, captured on video in gruesome detail, is fueling a new round of protests against violent policing tactics.

The video showed several uniformed officers surrounding a parked car while pointing their guns at the man inside the vehicle. One of the officers shouted at the man, threatening to shoot him. The Phoenix Police Department identified the man as James Porter Garcia, 28.

Then, in front of witnesses who were recording the episode, the officers unleashed a volley of gunfire. The victim was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to a statement by the Phoenix Police Department.

PDs are structurally rotten

This town of 170,000 replaced some cops with medics and mental health workers. It's worked for over 30 years

(CNN) Around 30 years ago, a town in Oregon retrofitted an old van, staffed it with young medics and mental health counselors and sent them out to respond to the kinds of 911 calls that wouldn't necessarily require police intervention.

In the town of 172,000, they were the first responders for mental health crises, homelessness, substance abuse, threats of suicide -- the problems for which there are no easy fixes. The problems that, in the hands of police, have often turned violent.

Today, the program, called CAHOOTS, has three vans, more than double the number of staffers and the attention of a country in crisis.

CAHOOTS is already doing what police reform advocates say is necessary to fundamentally change the US criminal justice system -- pass off some responsibilities to unarmed civilians.

Thank you, PVW.

No need to "reinvent the wheel".

Next time you hear rummaging sounds from the living room downstairs, be sure to call CAHOOTS — it’s listed in the phone directory under “Help”. Or, dial 911.

From PVW's quote above, emphasis added:  "Around 30 years ago, a town in Oregon retrofitted an old van, staffed it with young medics and mental health counselors and sent them out to respond to the kinds of 911 calls that wouldn't necessarily require police intervention."

Probably, the dispatchers could figure out that an intruder in the house is a police matter.

eta (against my better judgment):  sheesh

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!