Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I agree F Stroman. Bauer had mentioned he wants to do one year deals for the rest of his career, so they might be willing to spend a lot for one season. I wonder how much Syndergaard is going to get. From what I read they might keep BVW, but bring somebody else in as GM. I don't see Rojas managing next year. He has not impressed me. 

FilmCarp said:

I have two questions for the stat gurus.  Has that new catcher got even one hit as a Met?  And what is Cano's average since the trade deadline.  I am guessing about 250.

Chirinos is 2 for 17 with the Mets. Cano is batting .200 (8 for 40) since the trade deadline.

Are you able to look up what Ramos' stats are when they're up 10 runs versus tie games or within a run? Not that it's my money, but I'm hoping he's willing to overpay Realmuto. I would like to have a catcher that can play some defense as well.

jfinnegan said:

Are you able to look up what Ramos' stats are when they're up 10 runs versus tie games or within a run?

Don’t look at me to encourage your Realmuto envy.

DaveSchmidt said:

FilmCarp said:

I have two questions for the stat gurus.  Has that new catcher got even one hit as a Met?  And what is Cano's average since the trade deadline.  I am guessing about 250.

Chirinos is 2 for 17 with the Mets. Cano is batting .200 (8 for 40) since the trade deadline.

Why, thank you.  If I can ever repay you just let me know.  I know more useless ww2 history than anyone should.  

FilmCarp said:

If I can ever repay you just let me know.

Your reality checks when MOL posters comment on unions are always welcome.  

Holy cow the Phillies' bullpen has been bad against the Mets this year. Even in some of the games they've won. Mets' schedule is very tough this week. I'm not feeling good about them winning the 7 or 8 they need to make the postseason. 

ml1 said:

Holy cow the Phillies' bullpen has been bad against the Mets this year. Even in some of the games they've won. Mets' schedule is very tough this week. I'm not feeling good about them winning the 7 or 8 they need to make the postseason. 

Whether its an individual game or a playoff run, I just ask that my team make it interesting.  Nothing is worse than your team getting blown out early in a game or being totally out of contention long before the end of the season.  I'm not confident that the Mets will make the playoffs but they are making it interesting now, especially with these comebacks.

ml1 said:

Holy cow the Phillies' bullpen has been bad against the Mets this year.

The Phillies’ bullpen has been bad against everyone this year. 

DaveSchmidt said:

The Phillies’ bullpen has been bad against everyone this year. 

I suspected, but didn't go to look at the overall stats. 

ml1 said:

I suspected, but didn't go to look at the overall stats. 

Phillies bullpen ERA entering the weekend: 7.17. 

ETA: The bullpen’s ERA against the Mets: 7.18. (!)

bub said:

Whether its an individual game or a playoff run, I just ask that my team make it interesting.  Nothing is worse than your team getting blown out early in a game or being totally out of contention long before the end of the season.  I'm not confident that the Mets will make the playoffs but they are making it interesting now, especially with these comebacks.

the team can hit for sure.  And it was only a matter of time before they started driving in more of the guys they were getting on base. But we're getting to the point where nobody can be sure what you're going to get out of the starting pitching.  Ands while we're talking about the team's chances, we should take a minute to note that since giving up that Aaron Hicks HR, Diaz has been unhittable.  Nine IP, with 19 Ks.  Another guy where it seemed like only a matter of time before things started coming around for him.  Some of his struggles were when big league hitters did big league hitting (like how did Hicks pull a 98 MPH pitch on the outer half of the plate into the RF seats?) and a couple were messes that were already very bad when he entered the game.  Looks like we now have the same guy who was so good in Seattle.

It seems like Rojas finally figured out to bring Diaz in at the beginning of an inning. I sort of wanted Girardi as the manager, but after watching their fielding and bullpen I don't think he would have been any better than Rojas. The thing I don't get is how poor the Mets' baserunning/coaching is. I have lost track of the amount of times the runners don't know how many outs there are. The coaches should be reminding the runners, but even if they aren't you can see the amount of outs all over the stadium.

I'll take 85% of the guy he was in Seattle.  The guy he was last year was making it look like one of the worst trades ever, a big part of the horror being Cano's salary for the next few years.   

bub said:

I'll take 85% of the guy he was in Seattle.  The guy he was last year was making it look like one of the worst trades ever, a big part of the horror being Cano's salary for the next few years.   

the thing that has been so strange has been how otherwise unhittable Diaz has been, but for the HRs.  It's like if he hung one slider in an appearance, it would be hit out of the ballpark. Which is really not the norm. Even big league hitters foul back a mistake once in a while, or hit it to the warning track.  But it seemed like last year and the beginning of this season Diaz had NO margin of error to hang even one pitch in the strike zone, or it would be a HR.

But he's still walking lots of guys.  Remember the Phil's had the bases loaded when the game ended.

I thought the Mets didn't trade for pitching at the deadline, but Frazier was the best pitcher they had yesterday.

saw a guy ranting on FB about Rojas last night.  I'm not sure how it's the manager's fault when the starting pitchers outside of deGrom have an ERA over 5, and I'm not sure how it's the manager's fault when the hitters don't drive in RISP.

ml1 said:

saw a guy ranting on FB about Rojas last night.  I'm not sure how it's the manager's fault when the starting pitchers outside of deGrom have an ERA over 5, and I'm not sure how it's the manager's fault when the hitters don't drive in RISP.

The hardcore online sports ranters always rant about coaches.  I don't see it either.

bub said:

The hardcore online sports ranters always rant about coaches.  I don't see it either.

at some point it's up to professional athletes to do their jobs regardless of what the coach or manager does. 

Also, in this era, you don't know who's really calling the shots about playing time for individual players.

“He can take his'n and beat your'n, or take your'n and beat his'n.”

— Yogi Berra

Any time you have to start Matz the manager gets a pass.

Just in case anyone had warm feelings about how the Mets finished their season, we had this weekend.

I thought it was the perfect way to end the Wilpon era. They better hope DH is permanent, because Dom should be playing 1st base every game.

Might as well share this with a group of fans who can enjoy it:

A rival NL East team could have made the playoffs by finishing 2-6. It went 1-7.

DaveSchmidt said:

Might as well share this with a group of fans who can enjoy it:

A rival NL East team could have made the playoffs by finishing 2-6. It went 1-7.

Not a good finish for either club.

the team was absolutely terrible this season.  But at the beginning of the year, who would have thought Syndergaard and Stroman wouldn't throw a single pitch?  The bullpen wasn't that bad, and the hitting was ok.  But now who knows what's in store for next year with the rotation?  Doesn't look promising.

I'd like to see them go after Jake Odorizzi and Bauer for a year.  Maybe McCann catching.  The bullpen will be okay if it doesn't need to pitch over 4 innings per game.  Finding a good center fielder will be tough.

FilmCarp said:

I'd like to see them go after Jake Odorizzi and Bauer for a year.  Maybe McCann catching.  The bullpen will be okay if it doesn't need to pitch over 4 innings per game.  Finding a good center fielder will be tough.

If they get Bauer it's really going to test my fandom to root for him.  he truly is a major league *******.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.