Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Sterling Marte to the Diamondbacks for a couple of prospects.  One year left on contract, with a one year club option.  

I hear Cespedes is running again.....

My friend and his son went to the fan fest at CitiField this weekend. He said they did a great job with it and Alonson threw batting practice to his son. All the players are saying the right things about Rojas. Hopefully it translates to the field. 

mfpark said:

Sterling Marte to the Diamondbacks for a couple of prospects.  One year left on contract, with a one year club option.  

I'm glad the Mets bailed on Marte. He's at the age where his CF play is likely to decline. I'm not certain he'd be a defensive upgrade from Nimmo this year. 

Marte's hitting stats are so much better than Nimmo's. I hope Nimmo has fixed the hole in his swing. His OBP was high, but he hit a lot of groundouts to 2nd base.

ml1 said:

I'm glad the Mets bailed on Marte. He's at the age where his CF play is likely to decline. I'm not certain he'd be a defensive upgrade from Nimmo this year. 

Much better bat than Nimmo.

mfpark said:

Much better bat than Nimmo.

of course my answer is based on the assumption that Nimmo will be healthy in 2020. His one full year in 2018 was on par with Marte's 2019 in OPS, and was actually slightly higher for WAR. 

Figuring a healthy Nimmo who is still young and improving, I don't see a huge advantage to Marte as a run creator this season. 

mfpark said:

Again?

Looks like the Cohen purchase of 80% of the Mets is about to fall apart.  Sounds like the Wilpons are pulling the same thing they did when Einhorn was about to buy them out a few years ago--changing significant deal terms at the last minute.  It appears that the Wilpons are seen as bad-faith negotiators.

Oh well, not sure that Cohen would be an improvement over the Wilpons anyway.  He sounds like he was a royal prick when he ran S.A.C. Capital--SAC plead guilty to insider trading in one of the largest criminal cases ever, and there are rumors that he ran the company with an iron fist. 

The Wilpons run the company with an iron fist without having the money. They should have been forced to sell years ago. 

Every year I start out enthusiastic about the Mets.  Usually my dreams are crushed by mid May or so.  This sale collapsing crushes my hopes early.   How much more small market management can we take?

A Yankee fan co-worker sent this to me. 

jfinnegan said:

A Yankee fan co-worker sent this to me. 

Thankfully it is too small for my old eyes to read.

Deal officially off per Manfred. Trying to spin it as Cohen backing out.

So annoying that the Wilpons want this phase-in so that Jeff has something to do.

Sell the team! No strings attached...

jimmurphy said:

So annoying that the Wilpons want this phase-in so that Jeff has something to do.

maybe Trump can be persuaded to extort a foreign country to dig up dirt on Jeff Wilpon. 

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

maybe Trump can be persuaded to extort a foreign country to dig up dirt on Jeff Wilpon. 

From his Bobby Richardson story at the White House today, I'd say he's more apt to help the Yanks.

From the Bleacher report:

The two sides had agreed upon a five-year period before Cohen would take over, but Thorton McEnery of the New York Post reported Jeff Wilpon wanted to maintain a senior role in the team's operations after the period.

Evan Roberts of WFAN added there was a demand to raise Wilpon's salary to $4 million by the end of the transition period, while also disallowing the use of Cohen's own analytics department.

The Wilpons had also planned to extend their control over SNY, the team's cable network, beyond their agreed-upon deal, per Deesha Thosar of the New York Daily News.

These issues were apparently enough to end talks and force the Mets to look elsewhere for a new owner.

back to me.

They stand to make billions, but it wasn't good enough for their egos.  Bastards.

Train_of_Thought said:

Sigh...

I do take it as a positive that he worked to lose 30 pounds this offseason.

jimmurphy said:

Hmm, maybe I'll get my wish.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/york-mets-sale-again-price-180741657.html

maybe not:

The negative, Ganis said, is the exclusion of SNY, which will make it more difficult for any prospective owner to make money. 
“If SNY is not included, the potential flip in losses to profitability is likely to be significantly deferred,” he said.

jeebus, the Wilpons want to put all kinds of conditions on a potential deal.  I guess they're thinking there are suckers out there who would do this.

Pitchers and catchers next week, right? And we're stuck talking about the potential sale of the team.

Train_of_Thought said:

Sigh...

Because they haven't pitched yet.....   The Mets are tied for first place, as well, and every hitter is tied for the league batting title.

ARod? I'll pretty much take anybody if the Wilpons will go away, but I hope he doesn't do what Jeter did with the Marlins. I can't envision that deal going through. They're crazy for not taking Cohen's offer.

jfinnegan said:

ARod? I'll pretty much take anybody if the Wilpons will go away, but I hope he doesn't do what Jeter did with the Marlins. I can't envision that deal going through. They're crazy for not taking Cohen's offer.

I wouldn't hate this. Great article a few months ago in SI about A'Rod and J-Lo and their business acumen. No, I think that this could work. 

As a fan I would take ARod over Cohen any day and twice on Sunday.  Cohen sounds like a real motherf-er on so many levels.  ARod at least knows about the game at the highest (ahem) levels and as Soul_29 points out, may actually have good business acumen.

It sounds as if Cohen is back in the mix. 

Soul_29 said:

jfinnegan said:

I wouldn't hate this. Great article a few months ago in SI about A'Rod and J-Lo and their business acumen. No, I think that this could work. 

Soul_29 said:

It sounds as if Cohen is back in the mix. 

Read that he wants SNY in the deal though. Team loses 50MM a year and SNY makes 150. Price would be another Billion.

Even while shut down the Mets take a hit.  Tommy John surgery for Noah.  Crap.

It's Amazin, in a bad way.  Of course, if there's no season, the loss will be limited but on balance, I want to see some ball playing ASAP.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.