buying a new laptop - help please archived

DH has agreed to let me get a new laptop to use all by myself - YEAH! FWIW, we have had 2 Dell desktops in the past 3 years (yes, you read that right), which we both used, but both died after multiple hardrive corruptions/failures. DH downloads a lot off the internet, and despite always having Norton or some other virus protection installed, both computers apparently became fatally infected/corrupted, etc. Becasue of this, I decided I wanted to get a Macbook (yes, leave Windows and go over to the darkside, even though I've never even touched a MAC before), but DH is balking on the price - hence I still have no computer. The laptop will be for my personal use and needs to have decent memory storage, have a read-write DVD drive, and be sufficiently fast. I mostly use the internet, store and edit digital pictures, and create Word docs. I know Dells laptops are pretty cheap, but I'm really reluctant to go there again... I've also heard terrible things about Vista, but have no first-hand experience with it.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive Windows laptop that meets my needs? TIA

the last time you went with Dell it cost you more in the long run didn't it, heck, it seems to be costing you a another computer.
Buy a refurb MacBook and it will cost you less, it will be viable longer as it will work with whatever may come for the next several years, and it if you decide to resell it later you will get a better price then the Dell.

If you search around the technology section you can read more and more and more about Macs, and why they really are a better choice.

It all depends on how you value your time. Add up all the hours you spend fixing the computer and dealing with viruses and the PC is likely costing you more than a Mac.

I hate to say it, but it is more and more obvious that Monster is correct.

For one thing, the new Macs—around $600 plus USB monitor and keyboard, which you may already have—have integrated antivirus, so you don't need Norton (which is a memory hog of major proportion).

Also, if it matters (and it may not), buying a Mac automatically allows you to access their SDK.

For what you need, Linux, or even an OLPC would probably work. But go with the Mac.

I bought gondo a MacBook this summer and even though it was more expensive than a comparably outfitted windows machine because a) it's what she wanted and b) it's what she wanted. We didn't spring for the pimped out MacBook Pro, just the good simple MacBook though we chose the faster processor, and the bigger RAM options. She's had virtually no issues with it and I'm even a little jealous. She starts up and is surfing the web while Windows is still loading everything on the desktop. When it's time to move on from here I will be sorely tempted...

I LOVE my macbook. My only gripe with it is that I still can't figure out how to upload pictures onto MOL. :angry:

Have Macbook too. Worth the extra money. Wouldn't use it for work - prefer PC. But it's great for personal home use.

you upload pictures the same way you do on a windows computer

Monster, I have problems uploading pics using Safari. I have to use FireFox.

Monster- It won't work. There's always some kind of an error. If I try to use FireFox it says the picture is too big and I don't know how to fix that either.

oakland, the Mac costs more but you get your money's worth. There is more bundled software, and the system lasts longer. You don't even need to value your time as money, as dave says. Not everyone's time is worth money (or much money). Or if it is, they don't have the money to pay up front. But forget that. You save money on anti-virus and all sorts of add-ons that you don't have to buy with Mac OS. And since it lasts longer, you pay the same amount per year as with a Windows system.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a PC and load Linux on it, you could save a good bit of money. But that's not for everyone. There is an increasing number of people doing it who are not computer geeks, but it's still fairly small.

Unless you have to run software that's only available on Windows, I recommend Apples to most people.

I don't know anything about Macbooks, but we've always had PC's and I recently started a job where I use a Mac. OMG - i love it and I want to switch so badly from the PC at home. The trouble is we have the PC and two laptops so I'd have to get all new ones to be able to work together. If I were starting over it would definitely be a Mac...

why do you have to get all new computers to work with both the Mac and Windows pcs at home?
They can network together, share files, open-read-write Microsoft Office documents, and they can run Windows.

Funny this should come up just now - there's was an article in Salon last week that showed Mac's were out-and-out cheaper than PCs based simply on price alone, if you take into account their resale price. This is because Macs depreciate much less quickly than PCs and remain usable much longer. Check it out.

(Posted from a 4 1/2 year old 12" G4 Powerbook, running MacOS X 10.5 and still going strong...)

Just thought I'd come back to post that my new refurbished MacBook is on its way to me! Thanks everyone for your help!

Really Monster?! That's awesome! I don't know where I got my information, but I'm glad I was wrong - thanks!

I got one of the new Lenovo (IBM Thinkpads) - there are a few things that I'll have to get fixed but I'm very happy with it, and some of their proprietary software integrated into XP (I don't know what's up with Vista these days, but I bought it March '07 specifically so I wouldn't have Vista) is excellent. I'm afraid to say this, because I might curse myself, but I'm actually very happy with the machine. I have a more expensive machine, I detailed the specs myself, but they have less expensive options.

Lenovo laptops frequently get good reviews. They are known for their durability. I think you made a good choice.

That's good to hear, thanks Tom!

That, and you hate Apple.

Well I tried the macbookpro before that.

Oh, no, I'd returned it a long time ago. I am trying to sell an iPod now though, I didn't want to put it up on eBay yet, so I have it on craigslist along with all 37 Song Of The Day cards from Starbucks...

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!