From Gov. Cuomo, end the cap on SALT

In his briefing today Gov. Cuomo said, if you want to help New York end the cap on SALT. I've been waiting for someone to suggest that as money was being moved around in an effort to help impacted people and businesses. 

Also thought it might come up in some of the Primaries.

And of course as a few of us are Cuomo fans, he was just asked if he would consider being on the ticket and he gave his usual response, he's not going anywhere.


Why do you like Cuomo?  Asking to end the SALT cap is nice, but what are the chances of that happening?  I can see preferring him over Biden because he's not senile, but he has just passed a cruel austerity budget for New York that will hurt the most vulnerable people.  The New York budget received little media attention, so perhaps you were unaware?  When it comes to things actually under his control, unlike SALT, Cuomo turns out to be a fan of cruel neoliberal policies.

He seems to be more of a Repubican than a Democrat.  In the middle of a pandemic, he is cutting Medicaid and $300 million from hospitals. He refused to institute a wealth tax and gave his Republican budget director the right to cut essential services.  He pushed the budget he wanted without seeking input from elected legislators. He used some shady tactics to get it approved.  When Trump does things like that, people usually get upset. Why do you give Cuomo a pass?

Recent conversations on twitter have focused on his tight fitting polo shirts, rather than how he's hurting poor people:

“We can’t get a budget passed that doesn’t cut health care during a pandemic,” another legislator told me bitterly, “and everyone’s talking about his ******* nipples.”

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/whats-the-deal-with-andrew-cuomos-nipples.html

So, maybe the guy has edgy piercings, and Randy Rainbow has a crush on him and that's why you like him, but he's not doing anything about what has been called "death trap prisons" where coronavirus is spreading like wild fire and innocent people who can't afford bail are stuck there or cancelling rent, or giving the homeless a safe place to stay.  His wealthy Wall Street campaign donors are safe and sound though.

We’re in a Plague — Yet Andrew Cuomo Just Passed an Absolutely Brutal Austerity Budget

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fjacobinmag.com%2F2020%2F4%2Fandrew-cuomo-new-york-budget-austerity-cuts-coronavirus


nan said:

Why do you like Cuomo?  Asking to end the SALT cap is nice, but what are the chances of that happening?  I can see preferring him over Biden because he's not senile, but he has just passed a cruel austerity budget for New York that will hurt the most vulnerable people.  The New York budget received little media attention, so perhaps you were unaware?  When it comes to things actually under his control, unlike SALT, Cuomo turns out to be a fan of cruel neoliberal policies.

Are you living on the moon?

The budget was cut because there is a lack of revenue.

They're being realistic in expecting no federal help. States cannot reorganize under bankruptcy laws. When their coffers are empty their bills, such as salaries, insurance and vendors cannot be paid. States are restricted in what bonds they can issue. Even if they could issue bonds for general revenue needs, getting the bonding takes time.


nan said:

Why do you like Cuomo?  Asking to end the SALT cap is nice, but what are the chances of that happening?  I can see preferring him over Biden because he's not senile, but he has just passed a cruel austerity budget for New York that will hurt the most vulnerable people.  The New York budget received little media attention, so perhaps you were unaware?  When it comes to things actually under his control, unlike SALT, Cuomo turns out to be a fan of cruel neoliberal policies.

He seems to be more of a Repubican than a Democrat.  In the middle of a pandemic, he is cutting Medicaid and $300 million from hospitals. He refused to institute a wealth tax and gave his Republican budget director the right to cut essential services.  He pushed the budget he wanted without seeking input from elected legislators. He used some shady tactics to get it approved.  When Trump does things like that, people usually get upset. Why do you give Cuomo a pass?

Recent conversations on twitter have focused on his tight fitting polo shirts, rather than how he's hurting poor people:

“We can’t get a budget passed that doesn’t cut health care during a pandemic,” another legislator told me bitterly, “and everyone’s talking about his ******* nipples.”

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/whats-the-deal-with-andrew-cuomos-nipples.html

So, maybe the guy has edgy piercings, and Randy Rainbow has a crush on him and that's why you like him, but he's not doing anything about what has been called "death trap prisons" where coronavirus is spreading like wild fire and innocent people who can't afford bail are stuck there or cancelling rent, or giving the homeless a safe place to stay.  His wealthy Wall Street campaign donors are safe and sound though.

We’re in a Plague — Yet Andrew Cuomo Just Passed an Absolutely Brutal Austerity Budget

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fjacobinmag.com%2F2020%2F4%2Fandrew-cuomo-new-york-budget-austerity-cuts-coronavirus

 In other words...He's not Bernie !


BG9 said:

Are you living on the moon?

The budget was cut because there is a lack of revenue.

They're being realistic in expecting no federal help. States cannot reorganize under bankruptcy laws. When their coffers are empty their bills, such as salaries, insurance and vendors cannot be paid. States are restricted in what bonds they can issue. Even if they could issue bonds for general revenue needs, getting the bonding takes time.

We are the richest country in the world. No problem finding money to bail out corporations.  Wealth inequality is at the highest levels since at least the depression.  He's not even calling for a wealth tax.  It's not acceptable to make cuts on the most vulnerable and powerless.   

Cuomo is not on our side. 


Dennis_Seelbach said:

 In other words...He's not Bernie !

 Definitely not.  Bernie supports protecting the most vulnerable and saving the planet.  Andrew Cuomo supports protecting Wall Street and making cuts on the backs of the poor.  

Support more people like Bernie and fewer like Andrew, despite his tight fitting polo shirts and nipple ring. 


Morganna said:

In his briefing today Gov. Cuomo said, if you want to help New York end the cap on SALT. I've been waiting for someone to suggest that as money was being moved around in an effort to help impacted people and businesses. 

Also thought it might come up in some of the Primaries.

And of course as a few of us are Cuomo fans, he was just asked if he would consider being on the ticket and he gave his usual response, he's not going anywhere.

 


Standard response.  


nan said:

BG9 said:

Are you living on the moon?

The budget was cut because there is a lack of revenue.

They're being realistic in expecting no federal help. States cannot reorganize under bankruptcy laws. When their coffers are empty their bills, such as salaries, insurance and vendors cannot be paid. States are restricted in what bonds they can issue. Even if they could issue bonds for general revenue needs, getting the bonding takes time.

We are the richest country in the world. No problem finding money to bail out corporations.  Wealth inequality is at the highest levels since at least the depression.  He's not even calling for a wealth tax.  It's not acceptable to make cuts on the most vulnerable and powerless.   

Cuomo is not on our side. 

Its not Cuomo. He can't bail out NY. Only the feds can do that. Talk to Trump and his Republican colleagues.


nan said:

Why do you like Cuomo? Asking to end the SALT cap is nice, but what are the chances of that happening?

That's rich coming from a Bernie supporter 


Dennis_Seelbach said:

 In other words...He's not Bernie !

 Thank God


And yes! Gov. Murphy just suggested that the cap on SALT be removed even for a short period of time. (Like maybe long enough to get Trump out of office.) 


Everything must revolve around Bernie. 

A man who is no longer running for office.

Or is it that everything must revolve around Nan?


jimmurphy said:

Everything must revolve around Bernie. 

A man who is no longer running for office.

Or is it that everything must revolve around Nan?

 What's with the personal attacks?   I did not mention Bernie in this until Dennis specifically asked  me about him.  Am I not allowed to answer questions if Bernie is part of the question?  Why don't you ask Dennis why he is so hung up on my support for Bernie?  That would be more relevant than being a mean troll.  


nan said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/whats-the-deal-with-andrew-cuomos-nipples.html

So, maybe the guy has edgy piercings, and Randy Rainbow has a crush on him and that's why you like him, but he's not doing anything about what has been called "death trap prisons" where coronavirus is spreading like wild fire and innocent people who can't afford bail are stuck there or cancelling rent, or giving the homeless a safe place to stay.  His wealthy Wall Street campaign donors are safe and sound though.

We’re in a Plague — Yet Andrew Cuomo Just Passed an Absolutely Brutal Austerity Budget

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fjacobinmag.com%2F2020%2F4%2Fandrew-cuomo-new-york-budget-austerity-cuts-coronavirus

 I am not watching the budget in New York because I"m frantically watching the death count and the map. My family lives on the Island, many are high risk. My former in laws who came to this country from Peru, with almost nothing, live right in the middle of Elmhurst near Elmhurst Hospital where the freezer trucks are loaded with bodies. My friends live in the city, quite a few are in high risk categories. There are pictures of the mass temporary graves. 

I watch Gov. Cuomo's briefings and I get a calm delivery of facts and figures. He sounds like home and he looks like family. And if you think through the tears I can see a nipple ring you are mistaken. 

You say you fight for people yet you don't seem to recognize who any of us are.


Nan, It’s not a personal attack, nor is it trolling. It was an observation and a question.

Your preferred candidate is no longer running.

The constant invective against Biden, now Cuomo, essentially anyone who is not Bernie is tiresome and just reeks of attention-seeking.

Please find a candidate that you do intend to vote for and advocate for them if you like, but the constant mudslinging against everyone else is just tedious and serves to help no one but Trump.


Morganna said:

 I am not watching the budget in New York because I"m frantically watching the death count and the map. My family lives on the Island, many are high risk. My former in laws who came to this country from Peru, with almost nothing, live right in the middle of Elmhurst near Elmhurst Hospital where the freezer trucks are loaded with bodies. My friends live in the city, quite a few are in high risk categories. There are pictures of the mass temporary graves. 

I watch Gov. Cuomo's briefings and I get a calm delivery of facts and figures. He sounds like home and he looks like family. And if you think through the tears I can see a nipple ring you are mistaken. 

You say you fight for people yet you don't seem to recognize who any of us are.

 

I used to also find calm emotional delivery from politicians reassuring and comforting.  I thought Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were just the most brilliant and caring people and I was thrilled to vote for them.  Then I found out how they did not give a crap about me, really worked for Wall Street and it was all an act.  So, I recognize who you are because I used to be you.  But, I can say the same for you--you say you fight for animals and people and yet you support those that really don't give a crap about either. 


There is no bottom to how slimy and sick you are.

Morganna, please disregard her post.  She is truly demented.


sbenois said:

There is no bottom to how slimy and sick you are.

Morganna, please disregard her post.  She is truly demented.

 She will ask Jamie to ban you now...personal attack... trolling...

She really is unraveling right before our eyes. I’m done.


nan said:

So, I recognize who you are because I used to be you.  

You’re going to make me fight for the title of most condescending commenter on MOL, aren’t you. 


Jaytee said:

sbenois said:

There is no bottom to how slimy and sick you are.

Morganna, please disregard her post.  She is truly demented.

 She will ask Jamie to ban you now...personal attack... trolling...

She really is unraveling right before our eyes. I’m done.

 To suggest that Morganna doesn't really care for animals is beyond acceptable.  Disgusting.


sbenois said:

There is no bottom to how slimy and sick you are.

Morganna, please disregard her post.  She is truly demented.

 She will ask Jamie to ban you now...personal attack... trolling...

She really is unraveling right befyour eyes. I’m done.

sbenois said:

 To suggest that Morganna doesn't really care for animals is beyond acceptable.  Disgusting.

 I agree.


sbenois said:

 To suggest that Morganna doesn't really care for animals is beyond acceptable.  Disgusting.

 I never even suggested that.  I said the some of the people she supports politically don't care about animals or people.  She knows how I feel.  I've written her posts on this before.  You all know how I feel about politicians who are supported by corporate interests. This has been my consistent message for at least five years.  There is no need for the couch fainting and pearl clutching I am seeing on this thread. 


Morganna said:

In his briefing today Gov. Cuomo said, if you want to help New York end the cap on SALT. I've been waiting for someone to suggest that as money was being moved around in an effort to help impacted people and businesses. 

Also thought it might come up in some of the Primaries.

And of course as a few of us are Cuomo fans, he was just asked if he would consider being on the ticket and he gave his usual response, he's not going anywhere.

Under normal circumstances I don't think he would be a good presidential candidate, but these aren't normal circumstances of course. He is definitely showing leadership in times of great crisis, and for the people of New York it must feel good than an adult is in charge in their state. I think Murphy is doing a great job too by the way, even if he grabs less of the national spotlight. So do many other governors and regional and local leaders. Thank God for competent government officials.

Anyway, we already have a Democratic nominee, so this discussion is irrelevant.


geez - now I understand why nan was given a timeout last time.  ugh


jamie said:

geez - now I understand why nan was given a timeout last time.  ugh

 Oh, please.  You are the one who gave nan the timeout last time. How can you finally be understanding why?  It's was clearly because nan has a different opinion than you and you dismiss those views with superficial consideration and low tolerance.  Paul was also given a timeout at the same time for the same reason.  

Some members of MOL do not process different ideas very well.  The moderators, and some others, respond with personal attacks, and then comes the banning.  That's the pattern. 

On MOL, I am one of the few, if only Progressives left.  But, out in the real world lots of people think similar to the way I think and vote the way I vote.  I'm not unique. Running the last remaining progressive off your website will bring more agreeable discussions, but it will not reflect much of views that go beyond standard mainstream media. 


paul was not given out for the same reason - thanks for nan-splaining my moderation.  And now you blaming MOLers for not being able to process different ideas?  WOW, just wow


jimmurphy said:

Nan, It’s not a personal attack, nor is it trolling. It was an observation and a question.

Your preferred candidate is no longer running.

The constant invective against Biden, now Cuomo, essentially anyone who is not Bernie is tiresome and just reeks of attention-seeking.

Please find a candidate that you do intend to vote for and advocate for them if you like, but the constant mudslinging against everyone else is just tedious and serves to help no one but Trump.

 So, what are you saying, my critique of Cuomo's austerity budget is not real or legit?   You are basically saying that the only view allowed is a positive view of establishment Democrats and someone who expresses a negative view is doing it to attract attention and/or to help Trump?  

I'm not helping Trump, but why does that matter?   Is the purpose of this website to discuss ideas or is it a political instrument created to stop Trump through positive views of Democrats.   Jaime just said I was wrong to think that some people on MOL don't tolerate my views, but you are doing exactly that.  You are defining which views are acceptable and personally attacking me as "attention-seeking"  and "tedious" for not following your rules. This is clearly an inability to process different ideas. This is saying that only positive views about a candidate are acceptable and negative views are dangerous. 

Let me be clear here: I don't want personal attention. I want to discuss ideas.   But whenever I do that, I get thwarted by tedious speculation about my personality, mental health and motivation, followed by a denial of doing all the things I just listed.   Fun fact: name calling is a dictionary definition of a personal attack.


Fun fact: you never seem to have a problem doing it to others.


nan said:

I want to discuss ideas.   But whenever I do that, I get thwarted by tedious speculation about my personality, mental health and motivation, followed by a denial of doing all the things I just listed.  

If MOL political threads never give you any satisfaction, nan, what’s the appeal? 



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business