COVID-19

spontaneous said:

If you can’t stay home and have to travel, either by train or airplane, I’d recommend trying to source an N95 mask.  Going to the store is fine in a cloth mask, but being in an enclosed space with a number of people outside your household for an extended period of time is an extra risk so you’ll want the seal that the N95 provides.

I was far safer at Newark, Heathrow and on the plane than I was in a London High Street. Streets were pretty crowded and very few were masked up. They were very good going into shops, but outside? Not so much.

I'm happy to let the front-liners have the N95s.

drummerboy said:

I had my first covid test today. Not as bad as I expected.

That's great, but what took you so long? I've had 4 already.

ridski said:

Show off ;-)

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Dunno. Never really had the need to take one. I'm having surgery on Thursday, so that's why I got this one.

drummerboy said:

Dunno. Never really had the need to take one. I'm having surgery on Thursday, so that's why I got this one.

Hope all goes smoothly.

joanne said:

drummerboy said:

Hope all goes smoothly.

Thanks. Hip replacement. Should be ok.

Good twitter thread on what to expect regarding vaccinations.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

The only reason I have had a covid test (only one so far) was because it was required for a medical procedure.  But my insurance says that they will only cover tests with an order from a doctor.  Yes, the standing order from the state applies, but it doesn't cover any test for any reason and I haven't hit any of the conditions so far.  And, from what I hear, it is hard to get test results back quickly and there are concerns about which tests are most accurate.  (It seems like the more accurate tests have longer results turnaround times.)  All of this discourages against testing for asymptomatic people who have no known exposure or risk factors, despite hearing that it is advised to get tested often.

I had a test only because my doctor was sending me for blood work anyway.  An acquaintance just went thru a false positive scare. If you've been well and careful, I'm not sure what the aim is.  You can get a negative test and contract the disease on your way out from the lab.  I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thank you, bub, for putting so succinctly something I have often thought. Family “isolated” in N.J. prior to going to VA for Thanksgiving. Couldn’t they have gotten sick at the first Dunkin Donuts they stopped at? Unlikely, as they are taking lots of precautions, but in my view, you’re no longer isolated unless you also isolate in your car the entire road trip. 

Pfizer cuts vaccine rollout target in half on supply- chain obstacles . DJ  3:39 pm. 

cramer said:

Pfizer cuts vaccine rollout target in half on supply- chain obstacles . DJ 3:39 pm.

Pfizer said almost a month ago that it would be 50 million. (See Nov. 9 press release below.) Don't know where WSJ got "Pfizer had its 100-million dose goal in place until mid-November."

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

DaveSchmidt said:

cramer said:

Pfizer cuts vaccine rollout target in half on supply- chain obstacles . DJ 3:39 pm.

Pfizer said almost a month ago that it would be 50 million. (See Nov. 9 press release below.) Don't know where WSJ got "Pfizer had its 100-million dose goal in place until mid-November."

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

That is correct. CNBC just reported that the fact there  would be 50 million doses this year had been out there since November. CNBC said it doesn't know why the WSJ reported it as something new. The market had been up 200 points and collapsed at 3:30 pm when the news hit. 

WSJ should have watched the report on 60 Minutes.

APM's Market Place segment at the end of Morning Edition (WNYC) reports that Pfizer cited supply chain issues that prompted them to cut back on their vaccine delivery 'promise'.

I heard someone on MSNBC this morning detailing that the current task force plans for Phase II of vaccine distribution (when Biden will be in charge) are in a sorry state. Maybe Biden can influence this during the transition. I hope.

Rutgers is doing an oral COVID-19 treatment trial, and seeking participants who have recently been diagnosed:

TriACT Flyer 5 x 7 24Nov2020 Final.pdf (rutgers.edu)

Learn more about the TriACT study
1-833-874-2281 (1-833-TRIACT1)
triact@rwjms.rutgers.edu
www.triact1.com

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/double-mask-fit-reduce-coronavirus-exposure-covid-19-pandemic

Making masks fit better can reduce coronavirus exposure by 96 percent

Double masking, rubber bands and other hacks can produce a tighter fit

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.