Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

jamie said:

sad

charles is up

CNN anchor Bernard Shaw, aged 82

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/08/media/bernard-shaw-obituary/index.html

Former CNN anchor Bernard Shaw died Wednesday at a Washington, DC, hospital of pneumonia unrelated to Covid-19, Shaw's family announced Thursday. Shaw was 82.

Shaw was CNN's first chief anchor and was with the network when it launched on June 1, 1980. He retired from CNN after more than 20 years on February 28, 2001.During his storied career, Shaw reported on some of the biggest stories of that time -- including the student revolt in Tiananmen Square in May 1989, the First Gulf war live from Baghdad in 1991, and the 2000 presidential election.

And so is Camilla… so all previous gossip-mag sniping is now moot. 

Fittingly across much of Australia today, the skies are deep grey with heavy rain. Federal politics suspended for two weeks. History will be kind to Elizabeth II. 

oots said:

sad

charles is up

joanne said:

Elizabeth was a giant among men…

Sweet. Paddington Bear tweeted ‘Thank you, Ma’am, for everything’

I am so sorry that Elizabeth II is gone. She led a great life. Charles and Camilla, though. Ugh! I can't stand them. 

lord_pabulum said:

How come?

Interestingly, while I forgive most people their indiscretions, I find his to be duplicitous. Maybe he was convinced he needed to marry Diana, but he made a fool of her. 

KarenMarlowe said:

lord_pabulum said:

How come?

Interestingly, while I forgive most people their indiscretions, I find his to be duplicitous. Maybe he was convinced he needed to marry Diana, but he made a fool of her. 

Charles is a significant downgrade from his mother.

This morning's NY Times has a special Queen Elizabeth section. Any ex-pat or anglophile who would like my copy, just let me know.

yahooyahoo said:

KarenMarlowe said:

lord_pabulum said:

How come?

we will see, I guess.  He has much more progressive views.  She had the benefit of being old for a long time.  

DanDietrich said:

yahooyahoo said:

KarenMarlowe said:

lord_pabulum said:

How come?

we will see, I guess.  He has much more progressive views.  She had the benefit of being old for a long time.  

Did QE ever actually do anything, made some decision, that made a difference? My memory tells me she was less a leader and more a follower. Then again, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

drummerboy said:

Did QE ever actually do anything, made some decision, that made a difference? My memory tells me she was less a leader and more a follower. Then again, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

you might want to start a new thread in the politics section.

I've always been 100% indifferent to the royal family, Including all of the Kate Middleton gossip feuding etc. No idea why I or anyone should care.  

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

you might want to start a new thread in the politics section.

yeah. no.

this was written about Harry and Meghan last year, but yeah it pretty much sums up my feelings about the British monarchy.

From Patrick Freyne in The Irish Times:

Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

I've only seen her in person once.  She was trooping the colour in London, her last horseback appearance in this event.  Early to mid '80s.  RIP

dave said:

I've only seen her in person once.  She was trooping the colour in London, her last horseback appearance in this event.  Early to mid '80s.  RIP

"trooping the colour"?

Speak English!

drummerboy said:

dave said:

"trooping the colour"?

Speak English!

It is English!

https://www.royal.uk/trooping-colour

&   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trooping_the_Colour

marksierra said:

drummerboy said:

"trooping the colour"?

Speak English!

It is English!

Please forgive our Yankee humor.

lord_pabulum said:

Well, bless your heart

feeling a bit snowflakey, are we?

Ramsey Lewis, whom it was my privilege to take my dad see perform about 15 years ago.

Here’s a beautiful song (with Minnie Riperton, two years before the release of her own version):

Another voice from college days....

RIP Jean-Luc Godard, a man who broke every rule of film-making and then re-wrote them all. Jump-cuts, eyeline continuity, visual reference to other movies, throwing away the script to write new dialogue on the day of the shoot - you name it, hs did it. A true auteur.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-62886470

Ken Starr.

(That's it, that's the post)

About time. 25 years too late.

drummerboy said:

About time. 25 years too late.

obsessed with bubba but defending Epstein while grooming kavanaugh..

Should have posted this in politics…I’m sure it will be therapeutic.

nohero said:

Ken Starr.

(That's it, that's the post)

If I can't say anything nice...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.