Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

I’m broken-hearted, Julian Bream has left us, aged 87.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53777949

I really learned to love the lute, and the joy of ancient instruments, ancient scores through listening to his recordings. 
The world is somewhat drabber now. 

Ben Cross, 72. Chariots of Fire is one of my very favorites.

Great body of work. Fought through cancer for four years of his career. Rest In Peace.

drummerboy said:

Chadwick Boseman 43

This is sad about this, he played one of my favorite comic characters

https://twitter.com/michele_norris/status/1300458301344419840

Tom Seaver, 75

2020 really sucks

drummerboy said:

Tom Seaver, 75

2020 really sucks

my childhood hero. His pursuit of excellence was something even a little kid could understand. My buddies and I made sure to be in the stands when he returned to the Mets in 1983. 

RIP

I pulled this from a comment thread. Good stories.

==============================================================

Ron Darling shared a couple of Seaver stories earlier this year. This one speaks to his pitching IQ:

When I got to Oakland in 1991, Tony LaRussa was my manager and Dave Duncan was the pitching coach. Dunc told me a story about his time with Tom in Chicago. Guys were on second and third with two men out when Tom loaded the bases with a walk. Dunc went out to ask Tom if he was gassed or did he have enough left to get out of the inning. Tom assured him that he was fine and he semi-intentionally walked the previous batter to get to the batter in the box. Dunc went back to the bench and watched Seaver throw the first two pitches over the batter's head. On the 2-0 count, a well-placed changeup got Tom and the White Sox out of the inning.

After telling Tom he was done for the night, Dunc also said to Tom that he was a little nervous after he missed so poorly with the first two pitches. Seaver let him know that he missed with the first two offerings on purpose so he could get the batter out with his changeup.

If you are a fan of pitching, 19 strikeouts is the most impressive, but getting out of an inning with pitching intelligence is impressive as well.

And the NY Daily News has a great piece on Seaver, as well. A couple of titbits really stood out:

But there was so much more to the Seaver lore beyond the ’69 championship season, beginning in 1966 when he became an accidental Met. After growing up in Fresno, Calif., and graduating from high school, he got no college scholarship offers because he was too small. Instead, he decided to enroll in the Marine Corps reserves whereupon, in six months, he grew from 5-9, 160-pounds to 6-1, 210. Suddenly, he was a prospect, and in 1965 earned a scholarship to USC under the legendary coach Rod Dedeaux, and was 10-2 with 100 strikeouts in 100 innings.

The following January he was drafted by the Braves, the favorite team of his youth because of Hank Aaron, who he idolized. But after agreeing to a contract for $40,000, plus an additional $11,500 to complete his college education, Seaver suddenly found himself in no-man’s land. It seemed USC had already begun their new season when Seaver signed the contract, a violation of major league rules. Thus, the contract had to be voided, but at the same time, Seaver was now also ineligible to return to school. After his father, Charles, a world class amateur golfer who was a member of the 1932 Walker Cup team, threatened to sue baseball, Commissioner William Eckert resolved the issue by setting up a lottery in which any teams willing to match the Braves’ offer could participate for Seaver’s services. Only three teams, the Indians, Phillies and Mets, stepped forward and Eckert picked the Mets out of a hat.

That's quite the growth spurt. And how the Mets acquired Seaver - being the team picked out of hat! - is just plain goofy.

And I also liked these details:

As the Mets’ union representative, Seaver had worked hard to bring about a new system in baseball eliminating the reserve clause that had essentially bound players to their teams for life, and in that role incurred the enmity of Mets board chairman M. Donald Grant, who at one point during labor negotiations confronted him in the clubhouse and said: “What are you, a Communist?” At the end of the ’76 season, the two became embroiled in an increasingly nasty contract dispute, with Grant enlisting the support of the Daily News’ powerful sports columnist, Dick Young, to write a series of columns highly critical of Seaver. “Tom Tewwific is a pouting, griping, morale-breaking clubhouse lawyer, poisoning the team,” Young wrote in launching his offensive.

**** you, Dick Young.

And R.I.P., Tom Terrific.

Gary PeacockLOL legendary bassist with Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette...

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Dame Diana Rigg

Farewell Emma Peel

Guitarist Peter Starkie, one of the founding members of Skyhooks, has died at the age of 72.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/founding-skyhooks-guitarist-peter-starkie-dies/12668908

Jazz critic Stanley Crouch, or Grouch, depending on what you thought of his opinions.

drummerboy said:

As the Mets’ union representative, Seaver had worked hard to bring about a new system in baseball eliminating the reserve clause that had essentially bound players to their teams for life, and in that role incurred the enmity of Mets board chairman M. Donald Grant, who at one point during labor negotiations confronted him in the clubhouse and said: “What are you, a Communist?” At the end of the ’76 season, the two became embroiled in an increasingly nasty contract dispute, with Grant enlisting the support of the Daily News’ powerful sports columnist, Dick Young, to write a series of columns highly critical of Seaver. “Tom Tewwific is a pouting, griping, morale-breaking clubhouse lawyer, poisoning the team,” Young wrote in launching his offensive.

**** you, Dick Young.

And R.I.P., Tom Terrific.

Dick Young's role as M. Donald Grant's bullhorn probably was connected to the fact that Grant hired Young's son-in-law to work in the Mets' front office.

Referring to the controversy over the wife (or family) swap between Yankee pitchers Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich, longtime baseball writer Maury Allen wrote how most of the moral outrage was ginned up by Young and MLB commissioner Bowie Kuhn. Allen wrote, "Kuhn, as far as anyone ever knew, was devoted to his lovely wife, Louisa. Young, as far as anyone ever knew, ..was a famous columnist." 

Just heard RBG is gone. I am devastated.

She gave it her very best.  RIP.

Also devastated.

.The Notorious RGB 

Who could ever replace her.

Morganna said:

.The Notorious RGB 

Who could ever replace her.

Trump, unfortunately.

She worked hard for justice, for the American people, and for the eternal principles of good ethics and good law. May her memory be a blessing, and an inspiration for all.

Like the Judges of old, may her memory teach us wisdom, fairness and lifelong learning. 
A loss for the world. 

I’d never thought much about the development of the fabric, but in many ways it changed the way we viewed dressing for swimming and for wet weather. 
Among its varied applications, Gore-Tex is used in medical devices including heart patches, guitar strings, space suits, and vacuum bags. 
Now Robert Gore who invented Gore-Tex has died, aged 83years, after a long illness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54224405

joanne said:

Now Robert Gore who invented Gore-Tex has died, aged 83years, after a long illness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54224405

From my neck of the woods. Attended middle school with one of Bob Gore’s grandsons and with his stepson Chris Coons, now a U.S. senator. Small world, Delaware.

Gale Sayers. If I recall correctly from catching the end of WNET’s Saturday night movie last weekend, Brian’s Song was promoted as the movie of the week this Saturday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/sports/football/gale-sayers-dead.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

And the magical Juliette Greco. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54272708

Music, the arts, sport are taking such a massive hit hit this year.

about Sayers, this line from the Times obit is very sad.

He had several business ventures, including a computer supply company in the Chicago area. He said he had applied to every N.F.L. team for a front-office job but never received an interview — a source of sadness for him, according to friends.

Not even an interview.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.