The Blowers are Back 2018!

They're back!  The constant drone of the distant leaf blower, punctuated hourly by the ear shattering scream of those closer by.  

If I had wanted to live surrounded by screaming machinery, I would have moved to a country that allows people to live inside working factories.  

Hmmm... I didn't know that the powers that be could change thread titles.  Somehow, the new title lacks the oomph of the original.

The following article has a good summary of the hazards posed by the commercial use of gas powered blowers.

Maplewood Leaf Blower Ban Based in Science

Your avatar looks like the Nazi flag.

Ah, that explains it. My cultural literacy stopped evolving around 1980.

(Klinker, I understand completely the meaning of your avatar but I also find it disturbing every time I see it. Just sayin'.)

*Started a new thread for discussions of my avatar. 

MOL: No 45

Is there a list of landscapers who don't use leaf blowers?

jamie said:

Is there a list of landscapers who don't use leaf blowers?

I don't think so but if you are starting one you could add every landscaper who works in Maplewood during the summer.

every landscaper in Maplewood does NOT use a leaf blower?

jamie said:

every landscaper in Maplewood does NOT use a leaf blower?

Unless they are breaking the law.  MW put a ban on commercial use in 2017. The article that I posted above discusses the decision.

I asked what landscapers do not use leafblowers - you said all don't.  You said if I wanted to start a list of all landscapers who don't use a leafblower - we can add all who work in Maplewood.

jamie said:

I asked what landscapers do not use leafblowers - you said all don't.  You said if I wanted to start a list of all landscapers who don't use a leafblower - we can add all who work in Maplewood.

Right.  For a year it has been illegal to use lawn blowers in Maplewood. 

I don't know the names of the companies that have been working under the terms of the ban (I don't live in Maplewood and I don't use landscapers) but I have definitely seen landscapers mowing lawns in the summer so I know that there are organizations that do it.

You moved to Maplewood where there are more restrictions on leaf blowers than in most places in the country. 

Klinker said:
They're back!  The constant drone of the distant leaf blower, punctuated hourly by the ear shattering scream of those closer by.   If I had wanted to live surrounded by screaming machinery, I would have moved to a country that allows people to live inside working factories.  

jeffl said:

You moved to Maplewood where there are more restrictions on leaf blowers than in most places in the country. 

No, I moved to South Orange where there are no restrictions on leaf blowers.  That is why I posted this thread in the South Orange Specific category.

Just endured a stretch of leaf blower noise on my block.  We shouldn't have to deal with this when there is still snow in the forecast!!!! (And they parked their truck/trailer in the street in front of my driveway - grrrr!)

Has the ban period in Mwd even started yet?

NVM:  Starts May 15 for landscapers. 

Ah.  My apologies.  Then I would amend my post to say that aren’t most places in this country just like South Orange?  

Klinker said:

jeffl said:

No, I moved to South Orange where there are no restrictions on leaf blowers.  That is why I posted this thread in the South Orange Specific category.

jeffl said:

Ah.  My apologies.  Then I would amend my post to say that aren’t most places in this country just like South Orange?  

Right.  But Maplewood, Montclair and a handful of other towns around the country have shown us that we don't have to cower with our windows closed and our ear plugs in.

There should at least be a time limit.  The guys have been blowing at one house on my street for over an hour.  I'm ready to go over there and kick them in the shins.

They started on my block at 8:30 AM last Saturday on a holiday weekend. I am not even religious and it annoyed the hell out of me. Seems like the weekends should be off limits for those companies. 

fed123 said:
They started on my block at 8:30 AM last Saturday on a holiday weekend. I am not even religious and it annoyed the hell out of me. Seems like the weekends should be off limits for those companies. 

I think they should be required to do their leaf-blowing on weekends. That way the people who hire them can be home to hear it.

kthnry said:

fed123 said:
I think they should be required to do their leaf-blowing on weekends. That way the people who hire them can be home to hear it.

Right.  If all the people who hire these companies were forced to suffer through there cacophony, we would see a change in the way these things are done.

Isn't there a noise ordinance restriction before something like 11am on Sunday mornings?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.