Ballot Question 2019 General Election

If I had not read my sample ballot, I would not even know that there is a statewide question on Tuesday's general election ballot.  I can find absolutely nothing for or against the question which would amend the State constitution to provide a $250 real property tax deduction for eligible veterans and their spouses who live in a continuing care retirement community that breaks out the portion of the fees that go towards payment of the resident's portion of the real property tax.  Is this something that voters should approve or reject?  Why?

Thanks @wedjet -- that link is helpful.  From the summary at the end of that link:

Reason a voter might vote “yes."

The reasons for providing the property tax relief, as recognition of service rendered to our country, should follow the veteran who has to alter his or her living arrangements.

Reason a voter might vote “no”:

Extending this property tax deduction will increase expenditures from the Property Tax Relief Fund. Fiscal estimates, provided by the New Jersey Office of Legislative Services range from $350,000 to $550,000.

I have to say that while I'm generally in favor of the idea, I hate cluttering up the constitution with minor stuff like this. I'm sure the legislature could pass a law to do this.

Whilst I don't much like the Legislature punting the ball to the electorate, I don't believe the Legislature has the competence in this matter.

I hope it passed.

TomR

P.s., I tried to get myself to a point where I could oppose this amendment (I am a fiscal conservative); but each contortion I went through led me to the same place. The whole program is a tip-of-the-hat to those who served; albeit a very small tip.

Now, I'm left wondering why Veterans who rent, do not get the same token tip-of-the-hat. (If I am misinformed on the point of Veteran renters, please abate my ignorance).

Tom_R said:

Whilst I don't much like the Legislature punting the ball to the electorate, I don't believe the Legislature has the competence in this matter.

I hope it passed.

TomR

P.s., I tried to get myself to a point where I could oppose this amendment (I am a fiscal conservative); but each contortion I went through led me to the same place. The whole program is a tip-of-the-hat to those who served; albeit a very small tip.

Now, I'm left wondering why Veterans who rent, do not get the same token tip-of-the-hat. (If I am misinformed on the point of Veteran renters, please abate my ignorance).

Doesn’t the ‘regular’ NJ property tax deduction include something for renters? If so, then I see no reason why this special Veterans deduction shouldn’t also.

And I totally agree that this kind of thing should be legislation rather than in the constitution, but that seems to be the way of state constitutions, sadly. (As opposed to the US Constitution.)

sac said:

Tom_R said:

I hope it passed.

TomR

Doesn’t the ‘regular’ NJ property tax deduction include something for renters? If so, then I see no reason why this special Veterans deduction shouldn’t also.

And I totally agree that this kind of thing should be legislation rather than in the constitution, but that seems to be the way of state constitutions, sadly. (As opposed to the US Constitution.)

Yes, renters get a property tax deduction.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.