Anyone else still waiting for your 2018 tax return to be accepted by the IRS?

My tax person submitted my return shortly before 4/15, but it doesn't register as having been accepted by the IRS yet. She said it's been taking forever this year. Anyone know what this means? Does it mean they haven't even looked at it yet? (Or the online equivalent.) Or has it been screened and shuttled into a pile of returns that need further examination? I have nothing new this year that would trigger a red flag - my finances have been pretty consistent for the last five years and normally I get my refund in a matter of days.

kthnry said:
My tax person submitted my return shortly before 4/15, but it doesn't register as having been accepted by the IRS yet. She said it's been taking forever this year. Anyone know what this means? Does it mean they haven't even looked at it yet? (Or the online equivalent.) Or has it been screened and shuttled into a pile of returns that need further examination? I have nothing new this year that would trigger a red flag - my finances have been pretty consistent for the last five years and normally I get my refund in a matter of days.

Not this long 

Acceptance usually happens same day or next 

Ask for proof of efile 

was your state return efile accepted?

oots said:
was your state return efile accepted?

I didn't file in NJ this year. I'm a Texas resident these days.

Mine and one of my adult children's returns (efiled via Turbotax) were all accepted within a couple of days this year.  

(ETA - Other kid's return is on extension, not pending efile acceptance.)

I filed on paper in March. They haven't processed it yet.

Efiled in early April and return accepted in less than a day.

As oots suggested above, ask for proof of filing.

I'm surprised that the your tax person did not give you proof of filing. There are some things you should retain - copies of your filed returns, proofs of filing, W2 and 1099's and proofs of deductible expenses.

I added W2 and 1099's because many, many years ago I received a notice assessment due to a 1099 error. The 1099 which was hand written and mailed, showed 11,000 income but the first 1 looked a little like a 7. Almost a year later I was informed that I owed because I underreported my income. Some data entry clerk read and entered "71,000 into their system."

I mailed my "11,000" copy with the explanation of look again. That's the last I heard of it.

Filed on paper April 14 or 15.  Refund direct deposited a couple of days ago.

I e-filed a few days before the deadline and both Federal and NJ were accepted within 24 hours.

I have a feeling she forgot and is covering up. Think I'll find someone new for next year.

Update: My refund landed in my checking account today. I still strongly suspect that my tax person forgot to file my return until I reminded her last week.

kthnry said:
Update: My refund landed in my checking account today. I still strongly suspect that my tax person forgot to file my return until I reminded her last week.

I don't think you would have gotten the refund that quickly if they filed last week.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.