2020: Bloom & Garden photos

OK Bearded Irises, I'm in.

Morganna said:

@bigben_again , do you know what this is? She raised a zillion succulents for the Maplewood Garden Club.

Stumped. But it's very pretty and very happy. 

If you haven't been to the herb garden behind The Durand-Hedden House lately, now would be a good time. This dianthus display is magnificient.

bigben_again said:

If you haven't been to the herb garden behind The Durand-Hedden House lately, now would be a good time. This dianthus display is magnificient.

Wow, that does look lovely.

This is from a couple of weeks ago.  I only have a couple of these spring bulbs that pop up, but they are close to the top of my favorites. Anyone know what they are?

krnl said:

This is from a couple of weeks ago.  I only have a couple of these spring bulbs that pop up, but they are close to the top of my favorites. Anyone know what they are?

Snow drops. I love them.

It’s time to smell the roses!

The slightly pink roses smell light and fresh with a hint of citrus.

The white ones have this concentrated smell of an orchard when all the apples are ripe and juicy. Kid said they smell like honey.

Clematis - one of my favorite flowers and this one is so cooperative about blooming happily with minimal care from me. 

Itoh Peonies, a hybrid of Tree Peonies and Herbaceous Peonies. They are less susceptible to powdery mildew. And I love the bright yellow after my Daffodils have gone.

Morganna said:

krnl said:

Snow drops. I love them.

Not snow drops (they have nodding/hanging flowers, and bloom very early, often late Feb).

I have some too.  I forget the name, will try to do some research.

tomcat said:

Not snow drops (they have nodding/hanging flowers, and bloom very early, often late Feb).

I know those nodding ones but online, they were under snow drops and star of bethlehem.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/529949093/snow-dropsstar-of-bethlehem-10-bulbs?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=snow+drops&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

Morganna said:

tomcat said:

I know those nodding ones but online, they were under snow drops and star of bethlehem.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/529949093/snow-dropsstar-of-bethlehem-10-bulbs?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=snow+drops&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

Thanks. I've done a quick search and the star of Bethlehem appears to be listed as invasive and poisonous. Guess that next spring I'll dig them up.

krnl said:

Thanks. I've done a quick search and the star of Bethlehem appears to be listed as invasive and poisonous. Guess that next spring I'll dig them up.

On the subject of poisonous plants,  I have several, It's an issue if you have small children, but the critters know to avoid them. Two of my permanent plants are Foxglove and Monk's Hood both considered poisonous but my lawn and wooded lot are Disney World for local wildlife. Its not unusual for me to have 4 fawn and a couple of does, and even adventurous little ones, don't nibble either plant. I love both plants for their beauty and deer and woodchuck resistance. But if they are too invasive I'm sure when you dig them up you will have plenty of people willing to take them.

Don’t know the name of these but love the vibrant color of the flowers against the washed out pale green of the plant. 

zet said:

Don’t know the name of these but love the vibrant color of the flowers against the washed out pale green of the plant. 

Lychnis coronaria, AKA rose campion.

bigben_again said:

Lychnis coronaria, AKA rose campion 

Thank you very much! 

Rose campion - Native to northern Africa, southern Europe and the Middle East, rose campion has become naturalized in many parts of the United States.

Bumping up the thread with blooming Moonflower 

Wow! Are your moon flowers blooming already? Or is this from last year? My moon flowers are at least a month/6 weeks from blooming.... but they are beautiful flowers for sure! 

finnegan said:

Wow! Are your moon flowers blooming already? Or is this from last year? My moon flowers are at least a month/6 weeks from blooming.... but they are beautiful flowers for sure! 

Yes. This year! This photo is from this morning. Last year they were attracting unusually large number of bees. 6-7 bees to a flower. Just insane buzzing. Did not see the bees this year yet. 

Wow again! Kudos for you. We grow ours from seed each year and never see flowers before August! Thanks for sharing. (I mostly notice mine at night and maybe for that reason never have seen bees interested.)

I take pictures because my deer are eyeing them, as well LOL

zet said:

Bumping up the thread with blooming Moonflower 

Wow, this is my first year that I didn't get the seeds in. Wonder if there's still time.

Morganna said:

Wow, this is my first year that I didn't get the seeds in. Wonder if there's still time.

My moonflowers self-propagate year after year, possibly they are just in a right spot for that and it's my sheer luck that they come back without me lifting a finger. I have overabundance and wouldn't mind sharing if you would like some already grown, I'll have to pull some any way soon! Send me a message if interested. 

A honeybee on my lace hydrangea.

My oakleaf hydrangea. Far shot (it's enormous) and close up. The scent is heavenly.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!