Dispatches from Hong Kong

@dave, what do you do with the HK Rotary?

I'm a member of Rotary Club of Hong Kong South, where we hold virtual meetings these days.   We're involved in numerous local to Hong Kong projects every year, but our main and ongoing focus is on raising funds for the Leprosy Project, which looks after people in 16 small villages in Sichuan, China afflicted with Hansen's disease.  

Dave, the news is getting scary - you ok?

We're fine.  Just don't read the news.  cheese

Social-distancing rules tightened as Hong Kong hit with 34 new local cases

The Hong Kong government has again tightened social-distancing rules and will begin testing groups deemed at higher risk of the coronavirus after 34 new local cases emerged on Thursday.

Starting Saturday, restaurants are restricted to serving 60 per cent of their capacity and can seat only eight people per table, while the cap for tables at bars will be four. Groups visiting gyms, party rooms and karaoke lounges must limit their size to eight.

---

Stand-out quote from the story:  Some of the latest infections were linked to people not wearing masks at work or in public areas....

Copper filter re-usable mask arrives from the HK govt. via post today. 

So that "evil" government that is controlled by its Chinese overlords is really trying. Unlike our federal response with its message of "open the economy and get used to living with the virus."

I place all the blame on the charlatan in the oval office.  If he wasn't so selfcentered, we might have had better grip on this situation.

Floyd said:

So that "evil" government that is controlled by its Chinese overlords is really trying. Unlike our federal response with its message of "open the economy and get used to living with the virus."

It's not a political thing, though.  My niece who teaches on an island-which-will-not-be-named here on Dave's thread (very close to mainland China and which had a national election earlier this year), tells us that the schools are open and operating, with everyone complying with safety protocols to minimize transmission.

I suspect any parcels of TP coming from Australia will be frowned upon, Dave. From what I hear currently, your supplies should be OK? cheese

(PS: just type to @marksierra, he’s a Melburnian  oh oh Their borders are closed to all for a bit)

nohero said:

Floyd said:

It's not a political thing, though.

But is is political. If the Chinese national leadership took the same stance as the White House, open the economy, don't close down, the virus is like the flu, then what makes you think they wouldn't be in our
boat?

We're seeing throughout the world where leadership takes the virus seriously and takes assertive action that the curves are flattened.

joanne said:

I suspect any parcels of TP coming from Australia will be frowned upon, Dave. From what I hear currently, your supplies should be OK?
cheese
(PS: just type to @marksierra, he’s a Melburnian 
oh oh
 Their borders are closed to all for a bit)

We're set with TP.  And I'm reading Errol Flynn's autobiography and while it's very readable, this crazy Tasmanian devil was such a cad I may soon begin tearing pages from it and using those, as well.

Floyd said:

nohero said:

Floyd said:

It's not a political thing, though.

But is is political. If the Chinese national leadership took the same stance as the White House, open the economy, don't close down, the virus is like the flu, then what makes you think they wouldn't be in our
boat?

We're seeing throughout the world where leadership takes the virus seriously and takes assertive action that the curves are flattened.

Mr. Floyd, you cut off the part of my response that indicated my intent. So your response is arguing with something I didn't say.

More flight restrictions in Hong Kong after a record-setting day of 38 new cases.

Now requiring certified negative covid-19 test results from a number of nations in south Asia.

New rules going into effect due to uptick in cases here in Hong Kong.

Opinion | Lockdown Can't Last Forever. Here's How to Lift It.

We need to hit and release the brakes on physical distancing, again and again, until we safely get to immunity. By Dr. Leung is an infectious disease epidemiologist and dean of medicine at the University of Hong Kong. HONG KONG - Lockdowns, quarantines and extreme forms of physical distancing work: They are curbing the spread of Covid-19.

By the "Dr. Fauci of Hong Kong"

Revisiting this almost two years after my last post, as there's still a daily press conference briefing at the end of every day.  Today there were 2000+ positive cases, including about 200 imported.  More interestingly, a Hong Kong lawmaker who recently tested positive was a close contact with Xi Jinping on his recent visit to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the British handover. 

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/191866/Ho-Chun-yin-tests-Covid-positive-after-photo-with-Xi-Jinping

What do you like about living in Hong Kong as opposed to Mpl.?

What do you dislike? Miss?

Miss: family and friends

Miss: I could really go for a slice of Roman Gourmet pizza.  Are they still 45 cents?  

Miss: change of seasons (though I could give winter a pass)

Miss: lawn grass, smell of cut lawn grass

Miss: driving myself around in a CAR on the RIGHT side of the road (don't really want to own a car here... too much stop and go)

Enjoy here:  national healthcare system-- no paperwork! no insurers or premiums! it's awesome!  Waiting times have been figured out and shortened by new AI tech.

Enjoy here: public transit system is A+ (though wife can easily walk to office, which helped during Covid thing)

Enjoy here: cheap taxis and no tipping!

Enjoy here: Hong Kong style dim sum.  And Char Siu BBQ pork.  And the wet markets.  And Honbo Burgers. And Chachawan Pad Thai noodles.  etc.

Enjoy here: watching the city lights slowly turn on at dusk

Enjoy here: safety (ie no guns), no real crime to speak of on the island. Young children feel safe enough to take buses alone. Everyone looks after everyone.

Enjoy here: there's an app for everything, from booking a booster shot to reserving a library book or a seat at the movies. 

Enjoy here: US politics aren't on TV.  We don't even own a TV. 

How do you spend your day? Weekends?

dave said:

Miss: I could really go for a slice of Roman Gourmet pizza.  Are they still 45 cents?  

How long have you been in Hong Kong?   A large pie was $2.50 circa 1970.  When was a slice last 45 cents.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

How do you spend your day? Weekends?

Same things I'd do in NJ.  Have curries at the Foreign Correspondent's Club, go to Rotary Club meetings.  Get Chinese take-out.  Ride double-decker buses.  Use the word gormless now and then.  Etc.

How long have you been in Hong Kong? A large pie was $2.50 circa 1970. When was a slice last 45 cents.

Slices were 45 cents when I would buy a slice while walking home from Maplewood Jr High.  1977?  Been in HK since '09.  

How are you doing with the flooding?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hong-kong-hit-widespread-flash-013339034.html

Hong Kong paralyzed by flash flooding after heaviest rainfall since 1884

Thanks for asking. High and dry here.

dave said:

Thanks for asking. High and dry here.

Glad to hear. I was wondering as well.

Obviously he has come up for air… but he’s okay.

Can we talk about the elephant in the room?

My cousin moved from Dublin to NY, to London, back to Dublin and has been in Hong Kong for almost 10 years now. He loves the weather and being able to do a lot of day trips on the weekends to a wide variety of places. 

Indeed. The elephant sculpture above I acquired in Luang Prabang, Laos, a destination I highly recommend.

DAVE! My diary tells me - it’s your birthday!  question question question

Hope it’s the best yet, and this new year is fun, bursting with success and good health, and wonderful opportunities!

And thank you, and Jamie, for everything MOL  rolleyes

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.