#Where's Rodney or Our Congressman is hasn't had a Town Hall since 2013

Part of West Orange was gerrymandered into a heavily Republican district. Our Congressman won't meet with constituents and he votes a straight Trump line. Many are angry and disappointed to say the least, but some clever people in Montclair have organized. This group is called: NJ11 For Change.

Their members and others in the district have been spending #FridayswithRodney.

Here is info on the next one:

https://www.meetup.com/Resist-Morristown/events/237524986/

Every citizen deserves to be heard by their Congressional Representative.

Call and dog them. Getting inspired by the video of town hall meetings.

I'm sure Rodney has seen some of the town hall videos. He's probably cowering in his office, afraid to come back north.

A different approach regarding congress critters that won't hold town hall meetings. Why not instead, appoint someone to speak on their behalf. The "spokesperson" can explain that the representative asked me to say that "He doesn't give a rat's *** about what his/her constituents think." Or, "The representative says to tell you, "He only cares about making Trump happy so the rest of you can just go away. He doesn't like you" Or, "Congressman x says, "As long as my paycheck and government health care are paid for, he doesn't need you or your health care. So go away."

Explain that since the representative hasn't publicly appeared to dispute this, it must be that he agrees with it.

NJ-11 for Change has 3 "Town Halls" scheduled and has invited Rodney. Other speakers have been invited too (because we don't know if he'll show).

His office is visited virtually every day by members of the group, which is up to over 5000 members. On Fridays, we've had groups of over 200 people visiting his offices. We've had loads of publicity w/ articles in the local rags as well as the Star-Ledger, the NYT, Rachel Maddow, and NPR.

I believe Rodney is well aware he's got some organized opposition.

Fortunately, our recent move to W.O. didn't result in a switch from the 10th C.D. to the vaunted 11th, so Rodney's not our guy... Still, go you Townhaulers!

-s.

I saw the piece on Maddow. It was a hoot. You guys are amazing!

my friend made this as a gag, then turned it into a sign she outs on her front lawn. The sign is very big, about 3'x1.5'.. and I think it's funny as all get out

oh oh snake

SammiJ said:

my friend made this as a gag, then turned it into a sign she outs on her front lawn. The sign is very big, about 3'x1.5'.. and I think it's funny as all get out

He changed his no vote to yes on the healthcare bill.  Thanks for passing it, Rodney. gulp 

Looking at the district map, I am curious why he chooses to have his office in Morristown (and why WNYC refers to him as being the congressman from Morristown).

mrmaplewood said:

He changed his no vote to yes on the healthcare bill.  Thanks for passing it, Rodney. gulp 

Looking at the district map, I am curious why he chooses to have his office in Morristown (and why WNYC refers to him as being the congressman from Morristown).

Don't know for sure, but maybe because he lives near Morristown.

His family has long term roots in Morris County.

He represents Linden, Newark, Jersey City and Bloomfield among others.  He doesn't live in the district and he refuses to meet constituents at town halls.  If he represented me I would rather vote for a mule than him.  Just my opinion.

Sorry, you have misunderstood Soda's map above that shows the 10th congressional district. F's district is #10 that includes Morris county, Livingston ,etc.

mrmaplewood said:

He represents Linden, Newark, Jersey City and Bloomfield among others.  He doesn't live in the district and he refuses to meet constituents at town halls.  If he represented me I would rather vote for a mule than him.  Just my opinion.

Freylinghusen and MacArthur, two hypocrites, liars, cowards. Vote 'em out!

Freylinghusen's district is #11 -

Is there a map showing the shape of 11 before and after the 2010 redistricting?

eliz said:

you wouldn't think a guy like that who worked his way up, pulling himself up by his bootstraps would treat working poor people so callously.  

Sorry... I meant a guy who won the genetic lottery and got himself born into a wealthy dynasty.

the only way to stop this is to get enough control of the state to redistrict.  Otherwise he will continue to be reelected unless he is caught with drugs or a boy.  That's really all that gets them out.  

eliz said:

Compared to many districts that is a pretty compact, well defined anf balanced one. 

Compare it to the TX 35th district (my winter home). This is one of three TX districts that were recently declared illegal by federal judges. It's about 110 miles long and 10 feet wide (in places).

Thanks for the correct description of Rodney's district.  I stand corrected.

ml1 said:

you wouldn't think a guy like that who worked his way up, pulling himself up by his bootstraps would treat working poor people so callously.  

Sorry... I meant a guy who won the genetic lottery and got himself born into a wealthy dynasty.

https://njmonthly.com/articles...

This sort of thing is simply outrageous. I don't understand why districts aren't computer generated.

kthnry said:

Compare it to the TX 35th district (my winter home). This is one of three TX districts that were recently declared illegal by federal judges. It's about 110 miles long and 10 feet wide (in places).

Now yiz have nothing to complain about. The Ledger reports that Rodney is going to hold a telephone town hall, 5 p.m. tomorrow.

INAPPROPRIATIONS CHAIRMAN — “Frelinghuysen targets activist in letter to her employer,” by WNYC’s Nancy Solomon: “The most powerful congressman in New Jersey, Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, wrote a fundraising letter in March to the board member of a local bank, warning him that a member of an activist group opposing the Republican worked at his bank. The employee was questioned and criticized for her involvement in NJ 11th for Change, a group that formed after the election of Donald Trump and has been pressuring Frelinghuysen to meet with constituents in his district and oppose the Trump agenda.”

“‘Needless to say, that did cause some issues at work that were difficult to overcome,’ said Saily Avelenda of West Caldwell, New Jersey, who was a senior vice president and assistant general counsel at the bank before she resigned. She says the pressure she received for her political involvement was one of several reasons she decided to leave. The form letter, on campaign stationery, asks Frelinghuysen’s supporters to donate two years ahead of his next election because he is under attack. ‘But let’s be clear that there are organized forces — both national and local — who are already hard at work to put a stop to an agenda of limited government, economic growth, stronger national security,’ the letter says. Above the word local, there’s a hand-written asterix in the same blue ink as Frelinghuysen’s signature. At the bottom of the letter, scrawled with a pen, is the corresponding footnote: ‘P.S. One of the ringleaders works in your bank!’” Read the report

Yes, big story on him on WNYC today.  Dislike this guy.

This is filthy politics.  Really disgusting.  Politicians should be above this behavior.  

He's head of the Appropriations Committee.  This has to be an ethics violation at the very least.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.